Dec 14, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin is having his struggles scoring goals of late and while the pressure mounts, he’s got at least one guy hoping people will take it easy on him.
Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that everyone should lay off Ovechkin because he’s a good player.
“He’s a great player and may be hitting a hard time in his career. Let him be, let him relax. Maybe he is carrying too much pressure and blaming himself. But he’s a great player.”
That’s a supremely zen approach from Bryzgalov. All that new age mysticism won’t take away from the fact that the once dominating goal scorer has scored just two goals in the Caps’ last 16 games.
The Caps and Hunter might be happy grinding out wins, but doing it at the expense of your biggest offensive weapon seems like a bad idea. Maybe Ovechkin can take Bryzgalov’s zen approach to getting back to doing what he does best.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)