Dec 14, 2011, 1:27 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin is having his struggles scoring goals of late and while the pressure mounts, he’s got at least one guy hoping people will take it easy on him.
Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that everyone should lay off Ovechkin because he’s a good player.
“He’s a great player and may be hitting a hard time in his career. Let him be, let him relax. Maybe he is carrying too much pressure and blaming himself. But he’s a great player.”
That’s a supremely zen approach from Bryzgalov. All that new age mysticism won’t take away from the fact that the once dominating goal scorer has scored just two goals in the Caps’ last 16 games.
The Caps and Hunter might be happy grinding out wins, but doing it at the expense of your biggest offensive weapon seems like a bad idea. Maybe Ovechkin can take Bryzgalov’s zen approach to getting back to doing what he does best.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 5
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 27
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 23
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 29
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 11
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)