Dec 14, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
It’s excessive to say that Tomas Vokoun has been a bad goalie in Washington, but he hasn’t been the difference-maker the Capitals expected. That’s something that Vokoun admitted to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley as he spoke about a tough month.
“I guess I’m in one of those funks,” Vokoun said. “I just don’t feel comfortable out there. Some games we win the game but it’s still a battle. For whatever reason I don’t have the comfort level I’ve had in past years and it shows.
I don’t think I’ve given up as many soft goals in the last month here as I gave up in three years (in Florida). Now, every shot is an adventure. Even if I do stop it I don’t control it well.”
Those aren’t the words of a very confident goalie, which is something that has to be a serious concern for Dale Hunter and George McPhee. It’s nice that he’s owning up to his struggles, but goalies are fragile creatures. The hope is that he isn’t beating himself up too much.
For years, Vokoun was a goalie who put up great individual numbers on bad Florida Panthers teams. His save percentage hovered around 92 percent for the previous six seasons, so seeing it dip to 90.6 is worrisome.
It’s not a Roloson-level catastrophe either, though, which shows that his play is matching the Capitals’ collective situation. As bad as things seem, there’s still the belief that Vokoun and the Caps can break out of this “funk.”
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 24
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 39
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 23
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51