Dec 14, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
It’s excessive to say that Tomas Vokoun has been a bad goalie in Washington, but he hasn’t been the difference-maker the Capitals expected. That’s something that Vokoun admitted to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley as he spoke about a tough month.
“I guess I’m in one of those funks,” Vokoun said. “I just don’t feel comfortable out there. Some games we win the game but it’s still a battle. For whatever reason I don’t have the comfort level I’ve had in past years and it shows.
I don’t think I’ve given up as many soft goals in the last month here as I gave up in three years (in Florida). Now, every shot is an adventure. Even if I do stop it I don’t control it well.”
Those aren’t the words of a very confident goalie, which is something that has to be a serious concern for Dale Hunter and George McPhee. It’s nice that he’s owning up to his struggles, but goalies are fragile creatures. The hope is that he isn’t beating himself up too much.
For years, Vokoun was a goalie who put up great individual numbers on bad Florida Panthers teams. His save percentage hovered around 92 percent for the previous six seasons, so seeing it dip to 90.6 is worrisome.
It’s not a Roloson-level catastrophe either, though, which shows that his play is matching the Capitals’ collective situation. As bad as things seem, there’s still the belief that Vokoun and the Caps can break out of this “funk.”
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 5
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 9
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 17
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 94
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (95)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games