Dec 14, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
It’s excessive to say that Tomas Vokoun has been a bad goalie in Washington, but he hasn’t been the difference-maker the Capitals expected. That’s something that Vokoun admitted to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley as he spoke about a tough month.
“I guess I’m in one of those funks,” Vokoun said. “I just don’t feel comfortable out there. Some games we win the game but it’s still a battle. For whatever reason I don’t have the comfort level I’ve had in past years and it shows.
I don’t think I’ve given up as many soft goals in the last month here as I gave up in three years (in Florida). Now, every shot is an adventure. Even if I do stop it I don’t control it well.”
Those aren’t the words of a very confident goalie, which is something that has to be a serious concern for Dale Hunter and George McPhee. It’s nice that he’s owning up to his struggles, but goalies are fragile creatures. The hope is that he isn’t beating himself up too much.
For years, Vokoun was a goalie who put up great individual numbers on bad Florida Panthers teams. His save percentage hovered around 92 percent for the previous six seasons, so seeing it dip to 90.6 is worrisome.
It’s not a Roloson-level catastrophe either, though, which shows that his play is matching the Capitals’ collective situation. As bad as things seem, there’s still the belief that Vokoun and the Caps can break out of this “funk.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)