Dec 14, 2011, 9:21 PM EST
It’s excessive to say that Tomas Vokoun has been a bad goalie in Washington, but he hasn’t been the difference-maker the Capitals expected. That’s something that Vokoun admitted to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley as he spoke about a tough month.
“I guess I’m in one of those funks,” Vokoun said. “I just don’t feel comfortable out there. Some games we win the game but it’s still a battle. For whatever reason I don’t have the comfort level I’ve had in past years and it shows.
I don’t think I’ve given up as many soft goals in the last month here as I gave up in three years (in Florida). Now, every shot is an adventure. Even if I do stop it I don’t control it well.”
Those aren’t the words of a very confident goalie, which is something that has to be a serious concern for Dale Hunter and George McPhee. It’s nice that he’s owning up to his struggles, but goalies are fragile creatures. The hope is that he isn’t beating himself up too much.
For years, Vokoun was a goalie who put up great individual numbers on bad Florida Panthers teams. His save percentage hovered around 92 percent for the previous six seasons, so seeing it dip to 90.6 is worrisome.
It’s not a Roloson-level catastrophe either, though, which shows that his play is matching the Capitals’ collective situation. As bad as things seem, there’s still the belief that Vokoun and the Caps can break out of this “funk.”
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 17
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46