Dec 14, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
When Dale Hunter was hired to coach the Capitals, he promised a focus on defensive responsibility. Last night on home ice, his team was blown away, 5-1, by the Flyers.
Hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
Although at least it was built eventually.
“Every time the puck crossed our blue line it ended up in our end for 30 seconds at a time,” said Caps forward Jeff Halpern, as per the Washington Post. “We didn’t work hard to get the spots and we never came out with the puck clean out of our own end.”
In its past four games, Washington has surrendered 14 goals.
Mike Green’s extended absence hasn’t helped the Caps move the puck from one end to the other, but if work ethic is the big problem, his return won’t mean much, whenever that happens. Playing good defensive hockey is a lot like tackling in football – you have to want to do it. It’s not fun. It doesn’t bring the fans out of their seats. But you can’t win without it.
“I think we’re all disappointed in the effort and you don’t offer up many excuses tonight for what happened,” veteran forward Mike Knuble said. “You get back to it and you get better.”
Washington’s next game is Thursday in Winnipeg.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)