Dec 14, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT
The good news: Mike Green will join the Capitals in Colorado later this week after missing the last 15 games with a groin injury.
The bad news: The groin injury is pretty serious.
That’s the diagnosis Washington GM George McPhee gave Capitals Insider after Green met with a specialist to reevaluate his recovery approach. McPhee also stated the injury has kept Green out of the lineup longer than originally thought.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.
“He was progressing then sort of plateaued. We thought we would try something else. Don’t know if it will make a difference but we’ll know more in a couple of days.”
Last Thursday, Green was skating with the team only to come off the ice and smash his stick in frustration. It was believed that he’d suffered a setback, something that pushed the organization to seek a different opinion on how to treat the groin strain.
That said, McPhee sees Green traveling to Colorado as a positive step in his recovery.
“He’ll be joining the club on the trip,” McPhee said. “Hopefully when he joins the club on the road he’ll be skating with the club – getting closer.”
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)