Dec 14, 2011, 1:41 PM EST
The good news: Mike Green will join the Capitals in Colorado later this week after missing the last 15 games with a groin injury.
The bad news: The groin injury is pretty serious.
That’s the diagnosis Washington GM George McPhee gave Capitals Insider after Green met with a specialist to reevaluate his recovery approach. McPhee also stated the injury has kept Green out of the lineup longer than originally thought.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.
“He was progressing then sort of plateaued. We thought we would try something else. Don’t know if it will make a difference but we’ll know more in a couple of days.”
Last Thursday, Green was skating with the team only to come off the ice and smash his stick in frustration. It was believed that he’d suffered a setback, something that pushed the organization to seek a different opinion on how to treat the groin strain.
That said, McPhee sees Green traveling to Colorado as a positive step in his recovery.
“He’ll be joining the club on the trip,” McPhee said. “Hopefully when he joins the club on the road he’ll be skating with the club – getting closer.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)