Dec 14, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT
The good news: Mike Green will join the Capitals in Colorado later this week after missing the last 15 games with a groin injury.
The bad news: The groin injury is pretty serious.
That’s the diagnosis Washington GM George McPhee gave Capitals Insider after Green met with a specialist to reevaluate his recovery approach. McPhee also stated the injury has kept Green out of the lineup longer than originally thought.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.
“He was progressing then sort of plateaued. We thought we would try something else. Don’t know if it will make a difference but we’ll know more in a couple of days.”
Last Thursday, Green was skating with the team only to come off the ice and smash his stick in frustration. It was believed that he’d suffered a setback, something that pushed the organization to seek a different opinion on how to treat the groin strain.
That said, McPhee sees Green traveling to Colorado as a positive step in his recovery.
“He’ll be joining the club on the trip,” McPhee said. “Hopefully when he joins the club on the road he’ll be skating with the club – getting closer.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)