Dec 14, 2011, 1:41 PM EST
The good news: Mike Green will join the Capitals in Colorado later this week after missing the last 15 games with a groin injury.
The bad news: The groin injury is pretty serious.
That’s the diagnosis Washington GM George McPhee gave Capitals Insider after Green met with a specialist to reevaluate his recovery approach. McPhee also stated the injury has kept Green out of the lineup longer than originally thought.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.
“He was progressing then sort of plateaued. We thought we would try something else. Don’t know if it will make a difference but we’ll know more in a couple of days.”
Last Thursday, Green was skating with the team only to come off the ice and smash his stick in frustration. It was believed that he’d suffered a setback, something that pushed the organization to seek a different opinion on how to treat the groin strain.
That said, McPhee sees Green traveling to Colorado as a positive step in his recovery.
“He’ll be joining the club on the trip,” McPhee said. “Hopefully when he joins the club on the road he’ll be skating with the club – getting closer.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)