Dec 14, 2011, 1:41 PM EDT
The good news: Mike Green will join the Capitals in Colorado later this week after missing the last 15 games with a groin injury.
The bad news: The groin injury is pretty serious.
That’s the diagnosis Washington GM George McPhee gave Capitals Insider after Green met with a specialist to reevaluate his recovery approach. McPhee also stated the injury has kept Green out of the lineup longer than originally thought.
“It’s longer than we expected, unfortunately, but it was a significant injury,” McPhee said. “It’s a groin injury and those things, they’re hard to heal quickly and know when – you just don’t know when you’re going to be ready.
“He was progressing then sort of plateaued. We thought we would try something else. Don’t know if it will make a difference but we’ll know more in a couple of days.”
Last Thursday, Green was skating with the team only to come off the ice and smash his stick in frustration. It was believed that he’d suffered a setback, something that pushed the organization to seek a different opinion on how to treat the groin strain.
That said, McPhee sees Green traveling to Colorado as a positive step in his recovery.
“He’ll be joining the club on the trip,” McPhee said. “Hopefully when he joins the club on the road he’ll be skating with the club – getting closer.”
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 7
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)