Dec 14, 2011, 9:22 AM EST
If Darryl Sutter wants to coach the Los Angeles Kings, it’s all up to him now.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Kings GM Dean Lombardi has asked Sutter if he wants to be the next Kings head coach and take the reins from interim head coach John Stevens. Sutter hasn’t been involved in hockey for the past year since being fired as GM of the Calgary Flames. Sutter also hasn’t coached since 2006.
Sutter and Lombardi are good friends and many Kings fans are wondering if Sutter’s hard-nosed ways are what this Kings team needs to succeed. Lombardi opting to go first to someone he knows best may be good for his peace of mind, but it may not be best for the team.
Sutter’s been in a self-imposed exile since being let go by Calgary and jumping into what’s a dysfunctional situation in L.A. makes for a difficult way to make a comeback to coaching.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)