Dec 14, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
If Darryl Sutter wants to coach the Los Angeles Kings, it’s all up to him now.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Kings GM Dean Lombardi has asked Sutter if he wants to be the next Kings head coach and take the reins from interim head coach John Stevens. Sutter hasn’t been involved in hockey for the past year since being fired as GM of the Calgary Flames. Sutter also hasn’t coached since 2006.
Sutter and Lombardi are good friends and many Kings fans are wondering if Sutter’s hard-nosed ways are what this Kings team needs to succeed. Lombardi opting to go first to someone he knows best may be good for his peace of mind, but it may not be best for the team.
Sutter’s been in a self-imposed exile since being let go by Calgary and jumping into what’s a dysfunctional situation in L.A. makes for a difficult way to make a comeback to coaching.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50