Dec 14, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
If Darryl Sutter wants to coach the Los Angeles Kings, it’s all up to him now.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Kings GM Dean Lombardi has asked Sutter if he wants to be the next Kings head coach and take the reins from interim head coach John Stevens. Sutter hasn’t been involved in hockey for the past year since being fired as GM of the Calgary Flames. Sutter also hasn’t coached since 2006.
Sutter and Lombardi are good friends and many Kings fans are wondering if Sutter’s hard-nosed ways are what this Kings team needs to succeed. Lombardi opting to go first to someone he knows best may be good for his peace of mind, but it may not be best for the team.
Sutter’s been in a self-imposed exile since being let go by Calgary and jumping into what’s a dysfunctional situation in L.A. makes for a difficult way to make a comeback to coaching.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)