Dec 14, 2011, 9:22 AM EST
If Darryl Sutter wants to coach the Los Angeles Kings, it’s all up to him now.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Kings GM Dean Lombardi has asked Sutter if he wants to be the next Kings head coach and take the reins from interim head coach John Stevens. Sutter hasn’t been involved in hockey for the past year since being fired as GM of the Calgary Flames. Sutter also hasn’t coached since 2006.
Sutter and Lombardi are good friends and many Kings fans are wondering if Sutter’s hard-nosed ways are what this Kings team needs to succeed. Lombardi opting to go first to someone he knows best may be good for his peace of mind, but it may not be best for the team.
Sutter’s been in a self-imposed exile since being let go by Calgary and jumping into what’s a dysfunctional situation in L.A. makes for a difficult way to make a comeback to coaching.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)