Dec 14, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
If Darryl Sutter wants to coach the Los Angeles Kings, it’s all up to him now.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun reports that Kings GM Dean Lombardi has asked Sutter if he wants to be the next Kings head coach and take the reins from interim head coach John Stevens. Sutter hasn’t been involved in hockey for the past year since being fired as GM of the Calgary Flames. Sutter also hasn’t coached since 2006.
Sutter and Lombardi are good friends and many Kings fans are wondering if Sutter’s hard-nosed ways are what this Kings team needs to succeed. Lombardi opting to go first to someone he knows best may be good for his peace of mind, but it may not be best for the team.
Sutter’s been in a self-imposed exile since being let go by Calgary and jumping into what’s a dysfunctional situation in L.A. makes for a difficult way to make a comeback to coaching.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)