Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
Remember when Antti Miettinen was a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning?
Yeah, me neither.
It’s been announced the Winnipeg Jets claimed the 31-year-old Finnish forward off waivers, one day after he signed a two-year, $3-million deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Miettinen had started the year with AK Bars Kazan of the KHL and was required to pass through waivers to return to the NHL, which has been a controversial procedure over the last two seasons.
(Well, controversial for the St. Louis Blues.)
Last year, the Blues signed forward Marek Svatos after he was released by Avangard Omsk — only to watch him get snagged off waivers by the Nashville Predators. Later that season they inked Kyle Wellwood after he left Atlant Moscow Oblast — only to watch him get claimed by San Jose.
As for the Jets, not a huge shock they’d take a flier on Miettinen. They’ve got one of the league’s weakest bottom-six forward groups and RW Eric Fehr is out with a shoulder injury.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 7
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 17
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)