Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
Remember when Antti Miettinen was a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning?
Yeah, me neither.
It’s been announced the Winnipeg Jets claimed the 31-year-old Finnish forward off waivers, one day after he signed a two-year, $3-million deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Miettinen had started the year with AK Bars Kazan of the KHL and was required to pass through waivers to return to the NHL, which has been a controversial procedure over the last two seasons.
(Well, controversial for the St. Louis Blues.)
Last year, the Blues signed forward Marek Svatos after he was released by Avangard Omsk — only to watch him get snagged off waivers by the Nashville Predators. Later that season they inked Kyle Wellwood after he left Atlant Moscow Oblast — only to watch him get claimed by San Jose.
As for the Jets, not a huge shock they’d take a flier on Miettinen. They’ve got one of the league’s weakest bottom-six forward groups and RW Eric Fehr is out with a shoulder injury.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 2
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)