Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
Remember when Antti Miettinen was a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning?
Yeah, me neither.
It’s been announced the Winnipeg Jets claimed the 31-year-old Finnish forward off waivers, one day after he signed a two-year, $3-million deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Miettinen had started the year with AK Bars Kazan of the KHL and was required to pass through waivers to return to the NHL, which has been a controversial procedure over the last two seasons.
(Well, controversial for the St. Louis Blues.)
Last year, the Blues signed forward Marek Svatos after he was released by Avangard Omsk — only to watch him get snagged off waivers by the Nashville Predators. Later that season they inked Kyle Wellwood after he left Atlant Moscow Oblast — only to watch him get claimed by San Jose.
As for the Jets, not a huge shock they’d take a flier on Miettinen. They’ve got one of the league’s weakest bottom-six forward groups and RW Eric Fehr is out with a shoulder injury.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 33
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 31
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 105
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (106)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement