Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
Remember when Antti Miettinen was a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning?
Yeah, me neither.
It’s been announced the Winnipeg Jets claimed the 31-year-old Finnish forward off waivers, one day after he signed a two-year, $3-million deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Miettinen had started the year with AK Bars Kazan of the KHL and was required to pass through waivers to return to the NHL, which has been a controversial procedure over the last two seasons.
(Well, controversial for the St. Louis Blues.)
Last year, the Blues signed forward Marek Svatos after he was released by Avangard Omsk — only to watch him get snagged off waivers by the Nashville Predators. Later that season they inked Kyle Wellwood after he left Atlant Moscow Oblast — only to watch him get claimed by San Jose.
As for the Jets, not a huge shock they’d take a flier on Miettinen. They’ve got one of the league’s weakest bottom-six forward groups and RW Eric Fehr is out with a shoulder injury.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)