Dec 13, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Tonight’s battle between the Sharks and Avalanche in Denver (9 p.m. ET on Versus) is the front end of a home-and-home set between the two and one that sees both teams looking to snap a losing streak.
The Sharks have lost two in a row and six of their last eight games. They’ve shaken up the lines to get Patrick Marleau focused and have bounced between Antti Niemi and Thomas Greiss in goal but consistency eludes them. Going from scoring goals in bunches to not scoring at all is frustrating and something that the skating Joes (Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski) hope to fix.
The Avalanche’s problems have been hanging around all season. They roll into tonight’s game losers of three in a row. With this current losing streak coming on the heels of a three game win streak, “frustration” is the most obvious word to use here and bag skating the team isn’t yielding results.
Semyon Varlamov has flip-flopped from playing brilliantly to getting lit up. Meanwhile, the bulk of the scoring falls on captain Milan Hejduk‘s shoulders while other leaders Matt Duchene and Paul Stastny have struggled this season.
On the upside for Colorado, Stastny is due to return from injury tonight and the Avs are hoping he’s brought his old play making ways with him.
Rookie to watch: Gabriel Landeskog is about as good as it gets for Colorado and the 2011 draft’s second overall pick is showing that he’s worth all the hype. While playing on Colorado’s third line he’s picked up five goals and eight assists and on a team that doesn’t score a ton, he’s looked good.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (109)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)