Dec 13, 2011, 11:41 AM EST
John Stevens shouldn’t get too cozy as interim head coach in Los Angeles.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that the Kings have asked the Calgary Flames’ permission to speak with Darryl Sutter about the head coaching job. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun confirms Hammond’s story.
Sutter is the former Flames coach and GM who took Calgary to the Stanley Cup final in 2004. He’s a tough character and a smart hockey mind, as well as a good friend of Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
After hearing Lombardi’s take on what it was like to let his good friend Terry Murray go as head coach, bringing in another close confidant is a curious move. A GM is going to be personally invested in how a team does no matter what; bringing your friends in to manage the team can make it a lot more personal when players don’t respond.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that Lombardi tore the team apart in a meeting after firing Murray, putting the blame on the players for having to let go of his friend.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)