Dec 13, 2011, 11:41 AM EST
John Stevens shouldn’t get too cozy as interim head coach in Los Angeles.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that the Kings have asked the Calgary Flames’ permission to speak with Darryl Sutter about the head coaching job. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun confirms Hammond’s story.
Sutter is the former Flames coach and GM who took Calgary to the Stanley Cup final in 2004. He’s a tough character and a smart hockey mind, as well as a good friend of Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
After hearing Lombardi’s take on what it was like to let his good friend Terry Murray go as head coach, bringing in another close confidant is a curious move. A GM is going to be personally invested in how a team does no matter what; bringing your friends in to manage the team can make it a lot more personal when players don’t respond.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that Lombardi tore the team apart in a meeting after firing Murray, putting the blame on the players for having to let go of his friend.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)