Dec 13, 2011, 11:41 AM EDT
John Stevens shouldn’t get too cozy as interim head coach in Los Angeles.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that the Kings have asked the Calgary Flames’ permission to speak with Darryl Sutter about the head coaching job. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun confirms Hammond’s story.
Sutter is the former Flames coach and GM who took Calgary to the Stanley Cup final in 2004. He’s a tough character and a smart hockey mind, as well as a good friend of Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
After hearing Lombardi’s take on what it was like to let his good friend Terry Murray go as head coach, bringing in another close confidant is a curious move. A GM is going to be personally invested in how a team does no matter what; bringing your friends in to manage the team can make it a lot more personal when players don’t respond.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that Lombardi tore the team apart in a meeting after firing Murray, putting the blame on the players for having to let go of his friend.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)