Dec 13, 2011, 11:41 AM EDT
John Stevens shouldn’t get too cozy as interim head coach in Los Angeles.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider reports that the Kings have asked the Calgary Flames’ permission to speak with Darryl Sutter about the head coaching job. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun confirms Hammond’s story.
Sutter is the former Flames coach and GM who took Calgary to the Stanley Cup final in 2004. He’s a tough character and a smart hockey mind, as well as a good friend of Kings GM Dean Lombardi.
After hearing Lombardi’s take on what it was like to let his good friend Terry Murray go as head coach, bringing in another close confidant is a curious move. A GM is going to be personally invested in how a team does no matter what; bringing your friends in to manage the team can make it a lot more personal when players don’t respond.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that Lombardi tore the team apart in a meeting after firing Murray, putting the blame on the players for having to let go of his friend.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)