Dec 13, 2011, 12:22 PM EDT
Right when Penguins fans thought the injury worries couldn’t get worse, they do.
Pens star center Evgeni Malkin was held out of practice today and according to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson, Malkin will be a game time decision to play tonight against Detroit. Dan Bylsma wouldn’t elaborate further as to what’s bothering Malkin. Bylsma also says that Jordan Staal will be a game time decision to play as well.
Malkin joins Staal, Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang, and Zbynek Michalek as star players dealing with different injuries. Injuries are nothing new for the Penguins, but potentially being without all three of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal is unheard of even for them. What was supposed to be a marquee match-up against Detroit tonight with a bevy of stars in what’s been a heated rivalry now shapes up to be more like a game between the Red Wings and the Penguins’ farm team.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)