Dec 13, 2011, 12:22 PM EDT
Right when Penguins fans thought the injury worries couldn’t get worse, they do.
Pens star center Evgeni Malkin was held out of practice today and according to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson, Malkin will be a game time decision to play tonight against Detroit. Dan Bylsma wouldn’t elaborate further as to what’s bothering Malkin. Bylsma also says that Jordan Staal will be a game time decision to play as well.
Malkin joins Staal, Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang, and Zbynek Michalek as star players dealing with different injuries. Injuries are nothing new for the Penguins, but potentially being without all three of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal is unheard of even for them. What was supposed to be a marquee match-up against Detroit tonight with a bevy of stars in what’s been a heated rivalry now shapes up to be more like a game between the Red Wings and the Penguins’ farm team.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)