Dec 13, 2011, 12:22 PM EDT
Right when Penguins fans thought the injury worries couldn’t get worse, they do.
Pens star center Evgeni Malkin was held out of practice today and according to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson, Malkin will be a game time decision to play tonight against Detroit. Dan Bylsma wouldn’t elaborate further as to what’s bothering Malkin. Bylsma also says that Jordan Staal will be a game time decision to play as well.
Malkin joins Staal, Sidney Crosby, Kris Letang, and Zbynek Michalek as star players dealing with different injuries. Injuries are nothing new for the Penguins, but potentially being without all three of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal is unheard of even for them. What was supposed to be a marquee match-up against Detroit tonight with a bevy of stars in what’s been a heated rivalry now shapes up to be more like a game between the Red Wings and the Penguins’ farm team.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)