Dec 13, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
Tonight was supposed to present a great moment for Ottawa Senators forward Milan Michalek. The slick winger passed Phil Kessel for the goal-scoring lead with 19 only to suffer an upper-body injury in the same game.
Worse yet, that upper-body injury very well might be (you guessed it): a concussion.
It’s believed that Michalek suffered whatever-the-injury-is during a collision with his super-talented teammate Erik Karlsson. If the theme of the last couple weeks isn’t concussions, then it might be teammate-on-teammate crimes. Let’s look at the list of guys who were accidentally injured by their own pals:
- Michalek (via Karlsson).
- Claude Giroux took a knee to the head from Wayne Simmonds, who couldn’t manage to completely hurdle his fellow Flyer.
- This one might only get partial credit, but it’s likely you’ve seen Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz knock each other over in slow-motion a couple times already.
So, to review: if you’re a high-end scorer, it’s not good enough to avoid players wearing other jerseys. Guys in your own uniform can do just as much damage.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63