Dec 13, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT
While Brown has experience with coaches getting turfed — he’s played under five different bench bosses in L.A. — he did say it was difficult to see Murray go.
“It’s not an easy thing to go through,” Brown said. “It’s really hard to kind of put into words how you feel, as a group of guys in here, when something like this happens. I think the best thing we can do, as players, is come together and work through it. It’s part of being a professional athlete, going through days like this.”
If the Kings are going to work through their issues, Brown will have to lead the charge. He’s been a major disappointment this year with just five goals through 29 games (on pace for 14) — a far cry from his 2007-08 season, when he finished 19th in league scoring with 33 goals.
When asked if drastic changes were needed, Brown offered some pointed remarks.
“Regardless of how we play the game, I think it’s more about our attitude, honestly,” he said. “We have to have a better, more hungry attitude. We weren’t a hungry team. We’ve got to get back to getting on the puck and having that attitude, that swagger.”
Brown’s comments are interesting given rumors that Darryl Sutter will be L.A.’s next head coach. Sutter’s most memorable coaching performance was taking a workmanlike Calgary Flames squad within a game of the 2004 Stanley Cup. That squad was defined by its hard-hat mentality (leaning heavily on grinders like Shean Donovan, Martin Gelinas, Stephane Yelle, Chris Simon and Chris Clark) and you’d have to think Sutter would try to instill the same mentality in the Kings.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15