Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
Only Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi knows how long John Stevens will be a lame duck interim head coach, but from the looks of things, let’s hope they make a change soon. The hapless Kings offense failed to score a goal against the Boston Bruins even with Tim Thomas on the bench as Tuukka Rask shut them down in a 3-0 loss.
Still, losses like these should prompt Lombardi to get the job done soon if he is indeed eye-balling Darryl Sutter. To be honest, I highly doubt that the joyless former GM of the Calgary Flames is the right guy to lead the Kings from fighting for a playoff spot to becoming the legit Stanley Cup contenders. Yet if Lombardi feels like he is, then he needs to bite the bullet and bring Sutter in now instead of moving at Penner speed.
Waiting much longer might not totally ruin their playoff chances, but it could drop them perilously far behind in the ultra-competitive Pacific Division title race. (Plus they’re downright depressing to watch in this funk, which really isn’t good for anyone.)
You might enjoy the highlights below … unless you’re a Kings fan.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)