Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
Only Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi knows how long John Stevens will be a lame duck interim head coach, but from the looks of things, let’s hope they make a change soon. The hapless Kings offense failed to score a goal against the Boston Bruins even with Tim Thomas on the bench as Tuukka Rask shut them down in a 3-0 loss.
Still, losses like these should prompt Lombardi to get the job done soon if he is indeed eye-balling Darryl Sutter. To be honest, I highly doubt that the joyless former GM of the Calgary Flames is the right guy to lead the Kings from fighting for a playoff spot to becoming the legit Stanley Cup contenders. Yet if Lombardi feels like he is, then he needs to bite the bullet and bring Sutter in now instead of moving at Penner speed.
Waiting much longer might not totally ruin their playoff chances, but it could drop them perilously far behind in the ultra-competitive Pacific Division title race. (Plus they’re downright depressing to watch in this funk, which really isn’t good for anyone.)
You might enjoy the highlights below … unless you’re a Kings fan.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22