Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
Only Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi knows how long John Stevens will be a lame duck interim head coach, but from the looks of things, let’s hope they make a change soon. The hapless Kings offense failed to score a goal against the Boston Bruins even with Tim Thomas on the bench as Tuukka Rask shut them down in a 3-0 loss.
Still, losses like these should prompt Lombardi to get the job done soon if he is indeed eye-balling Darryl Sutter. To be honest, I highly doubt that the joyless former GM of the Calgary Flames is the right guy to lead the Kings from fighting for a playoff spot to becoming the legit Stanley Cup contenders. Yet if Lombardi feels like he is, then he needs to bite the bullet and bring Sutter in now instead of moving at Penner speed.
Waiting much longer might not totally ruin their playoff chances, but it could drop them perilously far behind in the ultra-competitive Pacific Division title race. (Plus they’re downright depressing to watch in this funk, which really isn’t good for anyone.)
You might enjoy the highlights below … unless you’re a Kings fan.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21