Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM EST
Only Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi knows how long John Stevens will be a lame duck interim head coach, but from the looks of things, let’s hope they make a change soon. The hapless Kings offense failed to score a goal against the Boston Bruins even with Tim Thomas on the bench as Tuukka Rask shut them down in a 3-0 loss.
Still, losses like these should prompt Lombardi to get the job done soon if he is indeed eye-balling Darryl Sutter. To be honest, I highly doubt that the joyless former GM of the Calgary Flames is the right guy to lead the Kings from fighting for a playoff spot to becoming the legit Stanley Cup contenders. Yet if Lombardi feels like he is, then he needs to bite the bullet and bring Sutter in now instead of moving at Penner speed.
Waiting much longer might not totally ruin their playoff chances, but it could drop them perilously far behind in the ultra-competitive Pacific Division title race. (Plus they’re downright depressing to watch in this funk, which really isn’t good for anyone.)
You might enjoy the highlights below … unless you’re a Kings fan.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17