Dec 13, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT
Only Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi knows how long John Stevens will be a lame duck interim head coach, but from the looks of things, let’s hope they make a change soon. The hapless Kings offense failed to score a goal against the Boston Bruins even with Tim Thomas on the bench as Tuukka Rask shut them down in a 3-0 loss.
Still, losses like these should prompt Lombardi to get the job done soon if he is indeed eye-balling Darryl Sutter. To be honest, I highly doubt that the joyless former GM of the Calgary Flames is the right guy to lead the Kings from fighting for a playoff spot to becoming the legit Stanley Cup contenders. Yet if Lombardi feels like he is, then he needs to bite the bullet and bring Sutter in now instead of moving at Penner speed.
Waiting much longer might not totally ruin their playoff chances, but it could drop them perilously far behind in the ultra-competitive Pacific Division title race. (Plus they’re downright depressing to watch in this funk, which really isn’t good for anyone.)
You might enjoy the highlights below … unless you’re a Kings fan.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38