Dec 13, 2011, 6:02 PM EDT
Nice story here, via QMI Agency. Thanks to the generosity of an Ontario man, goaltending legend Johnny Bower got his pads back – pads he hadn’t seen in over 40 years.
Bower, now 87 years old, was part of Toronto’s last Stanley Cup-winning team in 1967. Back then, Leafs owner (and legendary cheapskate) Harold Ballard didn’t allow his players to keep their equipment.
Long story short, Bower’s pads ended up being given to Roger Spivey, now 61. Spivey used them for years, then thought it would be nice to give them back when Bower was signing autographs at a mall in Whitby, Ont.
“A lot of friends have told me I was crazy to give them away instead of getting his signature on them and selling them, but I wanted him to have them,” Spivey said.
Clearly the gesture meant a lot to the Hall of Famer.
“I was in tears,” Bower said.
Bower’s wife told Spivey she hadn’t seen her husband that happy in years.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off