Dec 13, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr is doing a pretty good job of taking jabs at teams he used to play for.
With the Flyers set to take on the Capitals tonight in Washington, D.C. Jagr was asked by Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily about his memories of playing at Verizon Center as a member of the Caps. Jagr didn’t waste any time in discussing what he didn’t like about it.
“I don’t like that arena much,” said Jagr. “I’ve not really had luck there. It’s a tough place to play, even if I was in Pittsburgh and New York. It was always tough. But hopefully we can stay on winning.”
That’s about as good of a backhanded compliment as you’re going to find. Jagr spent two and a half years with the Capitals all performing below what were his normal standards from his days in Pittsburgh. The Jagr era in D.C., to say the least, is not a warmly remembered one.
His memories of the place may not improve much with Philly though as he’ll be without his usual center Claude Giroux. Instead he’ll have rookie Sean Couturier playing pivot on his line with Scott Hartnell and hoping not to miss a beat. Against an improving Capitals team, Jagr could be due to have more bad memories playing in Washington.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)