Dec 13, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr is doing a pretty good job of taking jabs at teams he used to play for.
With the Flyers set to take on the Capitals tonight in Washington, D.C. Jagr was asked by Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily about his memories of playing at Verizon Center as a member of the Caps. Jagr didn’t waste any time in discussing what he didn’t like about it.
“I don’t like that arena much,” said Jagr. “I’ve not really had luck there. It’s a tough place to play, even if I was in Pittsburgh and New York. It was always tough. But hopefully we can stay on winning.”
That’s about as good of a backhanded compliment as you’re going to find. Jagr spent two and a half years with the Capitals all performing below what were his normal standards from his days in Pittsburgh. The Jagr era in D.C., to say the least, is not a warmly remembered one.
His memories of the place may not improve much with Philly though as he’ll be without his usual center Claude Giroux. Instead he’ll have rookie Sean Couturier playing pivot on his line with Scott Hartnell and hoping not to miss a beat. Against an improving Capitals team, Jagr could be due to have more bad memories playing in Washington.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)