Dec 13, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr is doing a pretty good job of taking jabs at teams he used to play for.
With the Flyers set to take on the Capitals tonight in Washington, D.C. Jagr was asked by Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily about his memories of playing at Verizon Center as a member of the Caps. Jagr didn’t waste any time in discussing what he didn’t like about it.
“I don’t like that arena much,” said Jagr. “I’ve not really had luck there. It’s a tough place to play, even if I was in Pittsburgh and New York. It was always tough. But hopefully we can stay on winning.”
That’s about as good of a backhanded compliment as you’re going to find. Jagr spent two and a half years with the Capitals all performing below what were his normal standards from his days in Pittsburgh. The Jagr era in D.C., to say the least, is not a warmly remembered one.
His memories of the place may not improve much with Philly though as he’ll be without his usual center Claude Giroux. Instead he’ll have rookie Sean Couturier playing pivot on his line with Scott Hartnell and hoping not to miss a beat. Against an improving Capitals team, Jagr could be due to have more bad memories playing in Washington.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)