Dec 13, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Jaromir Jagr is doing a pretty good job of taking jabs at teams he used to play for.
With the Flyers set to take on the Capitals tonight in Washington, D.C. Jagr was asked by Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily about his memories of playing at Verizon Center as a member of the Caps. Jagr didn’t waste any time in discussing what he didn’t like about it.
“I don’t like that arena much,” said Jagr. “I’ve not really had luck there. It’s a tough place to play, even if I was in Pittsburgh and New York. It was always tough. But hopefully we can stay on winning.”
That’s about as good of a backhanded compliment as you’re going to find. Jagr spent two and a half years with the Capitals all performing below what were his normal standards from his days in Pittsburgh. The Jagr era in D.C., to say the least, is not a warmly remembered one.
His memories of the place may not improve much with Philly though as he’ll be without his usual center Claude Giroux. Instead he’ll have rookie Sean Couturier playing pivot on his line with Scott Hartnell and hoping not to miss a beat. Against an improving Capitals team, Jagr could be due to have more bad memories playing in Washington.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)