Dec 13, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
Ed Snider has watched some tough teams in his days as owner of the Philadelphia Flyers, but yesterday in Chicago at the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, he said the NHL is more dangerous than it’s ever been.
“I think a lot of it is due to the equipment today,” said Snider, as per CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio. “In the old days, you had soft shoulder pads and didn’t have a whole lot of equipment or helmets. I think players respected each other more. They grow up now in junior with these masks and so forth and hit up high. It’s a different game. Obviously, it’s a very serious problem.”
John Davidson, the St. Louis Blues’ president of hockey operations, said almost the exact same thing: “The equipment is so hard and the players don’t respect each other as much as before.”
Given the influence Snider has on league matters, it’ll be interesting to see if equipment is addressed in the near future. The fact two of his best players, Claude Giroux and Chris Pronger, are currently out with concussions (though neither are equipment related) might serve to speed up the process.
Don Cherry has been talking about the equipment issue for ages (video). And while the NHL bans elbow pads “which do not have a soft protective outer covering of sponge rubber,” perhaps something more needs to be done.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)