Dec 13, 2011, 11:14 AM EDT
Steve Downie is at least an honest guy when it comes to breaking news.
Last night Downie said that he was going to be fined for leaving the bench on a legal line change to start a fight against the Rangers last week and it turns out he was right.
The NHL fined Downie the maximum allowable amount under the current CBA of $2,500 for his part in causing a dust up after Artem Anisimov made everyone on Tampa Bay upset with his “sniper” goal celebration.
Even though Downie has a history of suspensions, his altercation this time around was mostly legal in that he left the bench on a legal line change. Had he left the bench wantonly he would’ve been suspended 10-games automatically.
The Lightning can’t afford to be without anyone for any amount of time, so Downie being fined works out well for them. Perhaps next time someone celebrates a goal in ridiculous fashion against Tampa Bay, Downie will make sure to just shake his fist angrily from the bench.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)