Dec 13, 2011, 11:14 AM EDT
Steve Downie is at least an honest guy when it comes to breaking news.
Last night Downie said that he was going to be fined for leaving the bench on a legal line change to start a fight against the Rangers last week and it turns out he was right.
The NHL fined Downie the maximum allowable amount under the current CBA of $2,500 for his part in causing a dust up after Artem Anisimov made everyone on Tampa Bay upset with his “sniper” goal celebration.
Even though Downie has a history of suspensions, his altercation this time around was mostly legal in that he left the bench on a legal line change. Had he left the bench wantonly he would’ve been suspended 10-games automatically.
The Lightning can’t afford to be without anyone for any amount of time, so Downie being fined works out well for them. Perhaps next time someone celebrates a goal in ridiculous fashion against Tampa Bay, Downie will make sure to just shake his fist angrily from the bench.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)