Dec 13, 2011, 11:14 AM EDT
Steve Downie is at least an honest guy when it comes to breaking news.
Last night Downie said that he was going to be fined for leaving the bench on a legal line change to start a fight against the Rangers last week and it turns out he was right.
The NHL fined Downie the maximum allowable amount under the current CBA of $2,500 for his part in causing a dust up after Artem Anisimov made everyone on Tampa Bay upset with his “sniper” goal celebration.
Even though Downie has a history of suspensions, his altercation this time around was mostly legal in that he left the bench on a legal line change. Had he left the bench wantonly he would’ve been suspended 10-games automatically.
The Lightning can’t afford to be without anyone for any amount of time, so Downie being fined works out well for them. Perhaps next time someone celebrates a goal in ridiculous fashion against Tampa Bay, Downie will make sure to just shake his fist angrily from the bench.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 13
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)