Dec 13, 2011, 10:24 PM EDT
The Penguins lost two of three games in the latest Crosby-less run, but to be fair to Pittsburgh, those defeats came against two of the hottest teams in the NHL in Detroit and the Philadelphia Flyers. It’s one thing to tread water against weak and average teams, but let’s face it: the Red Wings had an excellent chance of beating Pittsburgh even if Crosby was in the lineup.
Detroit have outscored their opponents 16-4 in their current three-game winning streak and triumphed in nine of their last 12 games. So yeah, they remain ridiculously good.
Under normal circumstances, the lack of attention for such a run would lead me to say that people are “sleeping” on Detroit. Instead, I think it’s just a collective shoulder shrug from the hockey world. The Red Wings have been so dominant for so long that it’s only really remarkable when they aren’t pulverizing people.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)