Dec 13, 2011, 10:24 PM EDT
The Penguins lost two of three games in the latest Crosby-less run, but to be fair to Pittsburgh, those defeats came against two of the hottest teams in the NHL in Detroit and the Philadelphia Flyers. It’s one thing to tread water against weak and average teams, but let’s face it: the Red Wings had an excellent chance of beating Pittsburgh even if Crosby was in the lineup.
Detroit have outscored their opponents 16-4 in their current three-game winning streak and triumphed in nine of their last 12 games. So yeah, they remain ridiculously good.
Under normal circumstances, the lack of attention for such a run would lead me to say that people are “sleeping” on Detroit. Instead, I think it’s just a collective shoulder shrug from the hockey world. The Red Wings have been so dominant for so long that it’s only really remarkable when they aren’t pulverizing people.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22