Dec 13, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
When it comes to the Washington Capitals’ outlook, there really haven’t been a whole lot of positives beyond Jason Chimera playing out of his mind. Even so, one guy who hasn’t received a ton of blame is goalie Tomas Vokoun, but after a dreadful 5-1 loss against the Claude Giroux-less Philadelphia Flyers, it might be time to beat up on him a bit.
Vokoun was pulled from the game after allowing four goals through two periods and many believed he shouldn’t have even made it that far.
It’s reasonable that (most) people have been fairly easy on Vokoun overall. He’s certainly been much better than Michal Neuvirth and isn’t exactly getting paid up to his expectations, but those aren’t very comforting qualifiers.
Then again, maybe it all comes back to the Capitals trying to force a system that just doesn’t suit them. Perhaps Dale Hunter should take notes from Peter Laviolette’s attacking Flyers and revert to the reckless and fun style that this team made downright sexy reaching back to 2008-09.
Maybe going defense-first fooled people last season, but the Capitals just don’t have the personnel to make it work – and that might just include their top goalie.
Update: Keith Jones and Mike Milbury discuss Vokoun’s issues.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)