Dec 13, 2011, 10:04 PM EST
When it comes to the Washington Capitals’ outlook, there really haven’t been a whole lot of positives beyond Jason Chimera playing out of his mind. Even so, one guy who hasn’t received a ton of blame is goalie Tomas Vokoun, but after a dreadful 5-1 loss against the Claude Giroux-less Philadelphia Flyers, it might be time to beat up on him a bit.
Vokoun was pulled from the game after allowing four goals through two periods and many believed he shouldn’t have even made it that far.
It’s reasonable that (most) people have been fairly easy on Vokoun overall. He’s certainly been much better than Michal Neuvirth and isn’t exactly getting paid up to his expectations, but those aren’t very comforting qualifiers.
Then again, maybe it all comes back to the Capitals trying to force a system that just doesn’t suit them. Perhaps Dale Hunter should take notes from Peter Laviolette’s attacking Flyers and revert to the reckless and fun style that this team made downright sexy reaching back to 2008-09.
Maybe going defense-first fooled people last season, but the Capitals just don’t have the personnel to make it work – and that might just include their top goalie.
Update: Keith Jones and Mike Milbury discuss Vokoun’s issues.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)