Dec 13, 2011, 10:04 PM EDT
When it comes to the Washington Capitals’ outlook, there really haven’t been a whole lot of positives beyond Jason Chimera playing out of his mind. Even so, one guy who hasn’t received a ton of blame is goalie Tomas Vokoun, but after a dreadful 5-1 loss against the Claude Giroux-less Philadelphia Flyers, it might be time to beat up on him a bit.
Vokoun was pulled from the game after allowing four goals through two periods and many believed he shouldn’t have even made it that far.
It’s reasonable that (most) people have been fairly easy on Vokoun overall. He’s certainly been much better than Michal Neuvirth and isn’t exactly getting paid up to his expectations, but those aren’t very comforting qualifiers.
Then again, maybe it all comes back to the Capitals trying to force a system that just doesn’t suit them. Perhaps Dale Hunter should take notes from Peter Laviolette’s attacking Flyers and revert to the reckless and fun style that this team made downright sexy reaching back to 2008-09.
Maybe going defense-first fooled people last season, but the Capitals just don’t have the personnel to make it work – and that might just include their top goalie.
Update: Keith Jones and Mike Milbury discuss Vokoun’s issues.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 14
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 11
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)