Dec 12, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
Times have been tough on the Lightning of late and there’s no time like tonight against the Devils (7 p.m. on Versus) to get things turned around. Tampa Bay has lost six of their last seven games and they’re not looking all that pretty in losing.
Making matters worse for Tampa Bay, their offense hasn’t been able make up for the mistakes their defense and goaltending have made. There’s only so much Steve Stamkos and Vincent Lecavalier can do. Going up against the Devils isn’t going to help them get their offense figured out.
Things for New Jersey haven’t been any better of late. The Devils have lost five of their last seven and we’ve seen Martin Brodeur look every bit of 39 years-old in the process. While Ilya Kovalchuk has picked up his scoring of late (points in six of his last seven), the Devils would like to see Zach Parise pick things up. The Lightning defense should be the medicine to cure his ills.
Rookies to watch: While Brett Connolly won’t be there for Tampa Bay as he joins Team Canada’s World Junior camp, the Devils have a pair of young guys to look out for in Adam Larsson and Adam Henrique. While Larsson has the notability from being a top five pick in last year’s draft, Henrique is proving to be a possible Calder Trophy candidate scoring six goals and 14 assists.
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 13
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 83
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 96
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (96)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants