Dec 12, 2011, 9:29 AM EDT
With the speculation looming that Kings coach Terry Murray could soon be out of a job, looking at what’s going on in L.A. seems very familiar.
A team loaded with superstars that looks sapped of their will to compete and struggle mightily at putting the puck in the net. Wait, are we talking about Terry Murray with the Kings or what Bruce Boudreau had to deal with in Washington? Or Davis Payne in St. Louis? What about Randy Carlyle in Anaheim? The situations are curiously similar and in Murray’s case, it’s one where the competitiveness in the West has a hand in speeding things up.
While the Kings are in a division that’s playing poorly all around, falling back into a tie with Calgary for 11th in the conference is about as big of a sign that things are wrong that a team expected to compete for the Stanley Cup needs to see that something is very wrong. Whether you’re critical of Murray’s “defense at all costs” ways or you think the Kings’ offensive weapons just aren’t trying hard enough, the truth is it’s a situation where a new voice is needed there.
Murray’s gotten the Kings to where they play as strong as any team defensively and Jonathan Quick is as good as it gets in goal, but they’ve lost their way in other facets of the game and the moves Murray makes to try and spark the offense just aren’t working. When the team stops listening and responding, that’s a sign that things have to change. It’s happened in Washington, St. Louis, and Anaheim for the same reasons and now it should be L.A.’s time as well.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)