Dec 12, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
This morning’s rumors have been made official — the Los Angeles Kings have fired head coach Terry Murray.
The Kings made the announcement just a short time ago while also confirming that John Stevens would assume interim head coaching duties.
The news probably didn’t come as much of a surprise to Murray, who has twice been fired mid-season (by Washington and Florida). Recently, he’s watched his team fall to 12th in the Western Conference thanks to an utterly inept offense.
LA has lost four straight and seven of nine. During the four-game losing streak, the Kings scored just six goals and now sit last overall in goals per game (2.21), five-on-five goals (38) and first-period goals (11).
That Stevens was named interim boss isn’t surprising either. He has extensive head-coaching experience from his time in Philadelphia (where he coached both Mike Richards and Simon Gagne) and had been serving as Murray’s assistant this season.
Of note: LA fired Murray while he was stuck on 499 career wins. One more victory and Murray would’ve become the 17th head coach in NHL history to win 500 games, moving into a tie with the legendary Toe Blake.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)