Dec 12, 2011, 6:08 PM EST
This morning’s rumors have been made official — the Los Angeles Kings have fired head coach Terry Murray.
The Kings made the announcement just a short time ago while also confirming that John Stevens would assume interim head coaching duties.
The news probably didn’t come as much of a surprise to Murray, who has twice been fired mid-season (by Washington and Florida). Recently, he’s watched his team fall to 12th in the Western Conference thanks to an utterly inept offense.
LA has lost four straight and seven of nine. During the four-game losing streak, the Kings scored just six goals and now sit last overall in goals per game (2.21), five-on-five goals (38) and first-period goals (11).
That Stevens was named interim boss isn’t surprising either. He has extensive head-coaching experience from his time in Philadelphia (where he coached both Mike Richards and Simon Gagne) and had been serving as Murray’s assistant this season.
Of note: LA fired Murray while he was stuck on 499 career wins. One more victory and Murray would’ve become the 17th head coach in NHL history to win 500 games, moving into a tie with the legendary Toe Blake.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)