Dec 12, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
This morning’s rumors have been made official — the Los Angeles Kings have fired head coach Terry Murray.
The Kings made the announcement just a short time ago while also confirming that John Stevens would assume interim head coaching duties.
The news probably didn’t come as much of a surprise to Murray, who has twice been fired mid-season (by Washington and Florida). Recently, he’s watched his team fall to 12th in the Western Conference thanks to an utterly inept offense.
LA has lost four straight and seven of nine. During the four-game losing streak, the Kings scored just six goals and now sit last overall in goals per game (2.21), five-on-five goals (38) and first-period goals (11).
That Stevens was named interim boss isn’t surprising either. He has extensive head-coaching experience from his time in Philadelphia (where he coached both Mike Richards and Simon Gagne) and had been serving as Murray’s assistant this season.
Of note: LA fired Murray while he was stuck on 499 career wins. One more victory and Murray would’ve become the 17th head coach in NHL history to win 500 games, moving into a tie with the legendary Toe Blake.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)