Dec 12, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
This morning’s rumors have been made official — the Los Angeles Kings have fired head coach Terry Murray.
The Kings made the announcement just a short time ago while also confirming that John Stevens would assume interim head coaching duties.
The news probably didn’t come as much of a surprise to Murray, who has twice been fired mid-season (by Washington and Florida). Recently, he’s watched his team fall to 12th in the Western Conference thanks to an utterly inept offense.
LA has lost four straight and seven of nine. During the four-game losing streak, the Kings scored just six goals and now sit last overall in goals per game (2.21), five-on-five goals (38) and first-period goals (11).
That Stevens was named interim boss isn’t surprising either. He has extensive head-coaching experience from his time in Philadelphia (where he coached both Mike Richards and Simon Gagne) and had been serving as Murray’s assistant this season.
Of note: LA fired Murray while he was stuck on 499 career wins. One more victory and Murray would’ve become the 17th head coach in NHL history to win 500 games, moving into a tie with the legendary Toe Blake.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)