Dec 12, 2011, 8:27 AM EDT
Terry Murray’s days coaching the L.A. Kings may be at an end.
According to a report in the Los Angeles Times from Helene Elliott and Lisa Dillman, Kings executives are looking to remove Murray from the head job in an effort to kick start a team that’s looked disinterested of late and one that just can’t score.
Murray’s moves to make the Kings a more defensively tough team have paid off but it appears their offense was sacrificed to make it happen as they’re last in the league in goals scored per game. General manager Dean Lombardi didn’t comment on any of the latest goings on, but after spending to near the cap and adding Mike Richards and Simon Gagne while paying up big to Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty, he has to be furious at seeing his team playing so poorly.
The Kings have fallen back into a tie for 11th in the Western Conference with their recent downturn and for a team that has hopes of making a deep run in the playoffs and looking at a shot at the Stanley Cup, something’s got to give. As for who the Kings are looking at to replace Murray, the L.A. Times report says they haven’t found someone suitable.
If you’re thinking that Kings assistant and former Flyers head coach John Stevens is the logical next step, he’s viewed as being too similar to Murray in both style and demeanor. He could fill in as an interim head coach until the Kings find their guy, but he won’t be a long term solution.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)