Dec 12, 2011, 8:27 AM EDT
Terry Murray’s days coaching the L.A. Kings may be at an end.
According to a report in the Los Angeles Times from Helene Elliott and Lisa Dillman, Kings executives are looking to remove Murray from the head job in an effort to kick start a team that’s looked disinterested of late and one that just can’t score.
Murray’s moves to make the Kings a more defensively tough team have paid off but it appears their offense was sacrificed to make it happen as they’re last in the league in goals scored per game. General manager Dean Lombardi didn’t comment on any of the latest goings on, but after spending to near the cap and adding Mike Richards and Simon Gagne while paying up big to Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty, he has to be furious at seeing his team playing so poorly.
The Kings have fallen back into a tie for 11th in the Western Conference with their recent downturn and for a team that has hopes of making a deep run in the playoffs and looking at a shot at the Stanley Cup, something’s got to give. As for who the Kings are looking at to replace Murray, the L.A. Times report says they haven’t found someone suitable.
If you’re thinking that Kings assistant and former Flyers head coach John Stevens is the logical next step, he’s viewed as being too similar to Murray in both style and demeanor. He could fill in as an interim head coach until the Kings find their guy, but he won’t be a long term solution.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)