Dec 12, 2011, 8:27 AM EST
Terry Murray’s days coaching the L.A. Kings may be at an end.
According to a report in the Los Angeles Times from Helene Elliott and Lisa Dillman, Kings executives are looking to remove Murray from the head job in an effort to kick start a team that’s looked disinterested of late and one that just can’t score.
Murray’s moves to make the Kings a more defensively tough team have paid off but it appears their offense was sacrificed to make it happen as they’re last in the league in goals scored per game. General manager Dean Lombardi didn’t comment on any of the latest goings on, but after spending to near the cap and adding Mike Richards and Simon Gagne while paying up big to Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty, he has to be furious at seeing his team playing so poorly.
The Kings have fallen back into a tie for 11th in the Western Conference with their recent downturn and for a team that has hopes of making a deep run in the playoffs and looking at a shot at the Stanley Cup, something’s got to give. As for who the Kings are looking at to replace Murray, the L.A. Times report says they haven’t found someone suitable.
If you’re thinking that Kings assistant and former Flyers head coach John Stevens is the logical next step, he’s viewed as being too similar to Murray in both style and demeanor. He could fill in as an interim head coach until the Kings find their guy, but he won’t be a long term solution.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)