Dec 12, 2011, 8:27 AM EDT
Terry Murray’s days coaching the L.A. Kings may be at an end.
According to a report in the Los Angeles Times from Helene Elliott and Lisa Dillman, Kings executives are looking to remove Murray from the head job in an effort to kick start a team that’s looked disinterested of late and one that just can’t score.
Murray’s moves to make the Kings a more defensively tough team have paid off but it appears their offense was sacrificed to make it happen as they’re last in the league in goals scored per game. General manager Dean Lombardi didn’t comment on any of the latest goings on, but after spending to near the cap and adding Mike Richards and Simon Gagne while paying up big to Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty, he has to be furious at seeing his team playing so poorly.
The Kings have fallen back into a tie for 11th in the Western Conference with their recent downturn and for a team that has hopes of making a deep run in the playoffs and looking at a shot at the Stanley Cup, something’s got to give. As for who the Kings are looking at to replace Murray, the L.A. Times report says they haven’t found someone suitable.
If you’re thinking that Kings assistant and former Flyers head coach John Stevens is the logical next step, he’s viewed as being too similar to Murray in both style and demeanor. He could fill in as an interim head coach until the Kings find their guy, but he won’t be a long term solution.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)