Dec 12, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT
Looks like NHL scorers won’t have Marty Turco to kick around anymore.
Turco is taking his talents and heading to Austria where he’s signed a short-term deal to play with EC Salzburg. There he’ll play in a tournament with the team next weekend. So much for buying that Alpine lodge and learning to yodel.
Turco spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks as a backup goalie to Corey Crawford after initially being brought in to start. Instead, Turco took a backseat after Crawford seized the starting job helping the Hawks roll into the playoffs nearly upsetting Vancouver in the first round.
While there’s been a host of teams dealing with goaltending issues this season, Turco hasn’t gotten a call for a job. Turco was rumored to be talking to the Maple Leafs earlier this season but that proved to be false. Playing in Austria for even a weekend sure makes for a nice way to kill time and at least potentially show you’ve still got it.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)