Dec 12, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT
Looks like NHL scorers won’t have Marty Turco to kick around anymore.
Turco is taking his talents and heading to Austria where he’s signed a short-term deal to play with EC Salzburg. There he’ll play in a tournament with the team next weekend. So much for buying that Alpine lodge and learning to yodel.
Turco spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks as a backup goalie to Corey Crawford after initially being brought in to start. Instead, Turco took a backseat after Crawford seized the starting job helping the Hawks roll into the playoffs nearly upsetting Vancouver in the first round.
While there’s been a host of teams dealing with goaltending issues this season, Turco hasn’t gotten a call for a job. Turco was rumored to be talking to the Maple Leafs earlier this season but that proved to be false. Playing in Austria for even a weekend sure makes for a nice way to kill time and at least potentially show you’ve still got it.
- NHL fines Sharks GM $100K for Torres suspension critique 0
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 18
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 18
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2