Dec 12, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT
Looks like NHL scorers won’t have Marty Turco to kick around anymore.
Turco is taking his talents and heading to Austria where he’s signed a short-term deal to play with EC Salzburg. There he’ll play in a tournament with the team next weekend. So much for buying that Alpine lodge and learning to yodel.
Turco spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks as a backup goalie to Corey Crawford after initially being brought in to start. Instead, Turco took a backseat after Crawford seized the starting job helping the Hawks roll into the playoffs nearly upsetting Vancouver in the first round.
While there’s been a host of teams dealing with goaltending issues this season, Turco hasn’t gotten a call for a job. Turco was rumored to be talking to the Maple Leafs earlier this season but that proved to be false. Playing in Austria for even a weekend sure makes for a nice way to kill time and at least potentially show you’ve still got it.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)