Dec 12, 2011, 12:52 PM EST
Looks like NHL scorers won’t have Marty Turco to kick around anymore.
Turco is taking his talents and heading to Austria where he’s signed a short-term deal to play with EC Salzburg. There he’ll play in a tournament with the team next weekend. So much for buying that Alpine lodge and learning to yodel.
Turco spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks as a backup goalie to Corey Crawford after initially being brought in to start. Instead, Turco took a backseat after Crawford seized the starting job helping the Hawks roll into the playoffs nearly upsetting Vancouver in the first round.
While there’s been a host of teams dealing with goaltending issues this season, Turco hasn’t gotten a call for a job. Turco was rumored to be talking to the Maple Leafs earlier this season but that proved to be false. Playing in Austria for even a weekend sure makes for a nice way to kill time and at least potentially show you’ve still got it.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)