Dec 12, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After notching a pair of multi-goal games and somehow getting Calgary back into the Western Conference playoff picture, Flames captain Jarome Iginla was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Iginla led the charge as Calgary won three in a row for the first time this season. He notched three points (including the game-winning goal) in a 7-6 win over Carolina, assisted on Olli Jokinen‘s game-winner in a 3-2 win over Colorado, then potted two goals in a 3-0 win over Edmonton.
To give you the full scope of Iginla’s impact:
– The Flames started the week at 11-12-2, 13th in the conference.
– They finished 14-13-2, just two points out of eighth place.
Second star went to Minnesota’s third-string goalie, Matt Hackett. The nephew of former NHL goalie Jeff Hackett, Matt made his NHL debut in style, replacing injured starter Josh Harding and stopping 34 shots for a 2-1 win over San Jose. The younger Hackett continued his strong run of play with a 42-save win over Los Angeles, which set a Wild franchise record with their sixth straight road victory.
Third star went to Washington defenseman John Carlson. He posted consecutive three-point outings against the Panthers and Senators before notching an assist on Dennis Wideman‘s hat-trick goal in a 4-2 win over the Leafs. Carlson now leads all Caps defensemen in scoring and is second on the team in assists, with 15.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)