Dec 12, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After notching a pair of multi-goal games and somehow getting Calgary back into the Western Conference playoff picture, Flames captain Jarome Iginla was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Iginla led the charge as Calgary won three in a row for the first time this season. He notched three points (including the game-winning goal) in a 7-6 win over Carolina, assisted on Olli Jokinen‘s game-winner in a 3-2 win over Colorado, then potted two goals in a 3-0 win over Edmonton.
To give you the full scope of Iginla’s impact:
– The Flames started the week at 11-12-2, 13th in the conference.
– They finished 14-13-2, just two points out of eighth place.
Second star went to Minnesota’s third-string goalie, Matt Hackett. The nephew of former NHL goalie Jeff Hackett, Matt made his NHL debut in style, replacing injured starter Josh Harding and stopping 34 shots for a 2-1 win over San Jose. The younger Hackett continued his strong run of play with a 42-save win over Los Angeles, which set a Wild franchise record with their sixth straight road victory.
Third star went to Washington defenseman John Carlson. He posted consecutive three-point outings against the Panthers and Senators before notching an assist on Dennis Wideman‘s hat-trick goal in a 4-2 win over the Leafs. Carlson now leads all Caps defensemen in scoring and is second on the team in assists, with 15.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games