Dec 12, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
After notching a pair of multi-goal games and somehow getting Calgary back into the Western Conference playoff picture, Flames captain Jarome Iginla was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Iginla led the charge as Calgary won three in a row for the first time this season. He notched three points (including the game-winning goal) in a 7-6 win over Carolina, assisted on Olli Jokinen‘s game-winner in a 3-2 win over Colorado, then potted two goals in a 3-0 win over Edmonton.
To give you the full scope of Iginla’s impact:
— The Flames started the week at 11-12-2, 13th in the conference.
— They finished 14-13-2, just two points out of eighth place.
Second star went to Minnesota’s third-string goalie, Matt Hackett. The nephew of former NHL goalie Jeff Hackett, Matt made his NHL debut in style, replacing injured starter Josh Harding and stopping 34 shots for a 2-1 win over San Jose. The younger Hackett continued his strong run of play with a 42-save win over Los Angeles, which set a Wild franchise record with their sixth straight road victory.
Third star went to Washington defenseman John Carlson. He posted consecutive three-point outings against the Panthers and Senators before notching an assist on Dennis Wideman‘s hat-trick goal in a 4-2 win over the Leafs. Carlson now leads all Caps defensemen in scoring and is second on the team in assists, with 15.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)