Dec 12, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
After notching a pair of multi-goal games and somehow getting Calgary back into the Western Conference playoff picture, Flames captain Jarome Iginla was named the NHL’s first star of the week.
Iginla led the charge as Calgary won three in a row for the first time this season. He notched three points (including the game-winning goal) in a 7-6 win over Carolina, assisted on Olli Jokinen‘s game-winner in a 3-2 win over Colorado, then potted two goals in a 3-0 win over Edmonton.
To give you the full scope of Iginla’s impact:
— The Flames started the week at 11-12-2, 13th in the conference.
— They finished 14-13-2, just two points out of eighth place.
Second star went to Minnesota’s third-string goalie, Matt Hackett. The nephew of former NHL goalie Jeff Hackett, Matt made his NHL debut in style, replacing injured starter Josh Harding and stopping 34 shots for a 2-1 win over San Jose. The younger Hackett continued his strong run of play with a 42-save win over Los Angeles, which set a Wild franchise record with their sixth straight road victory.
Third star went to Washington defenseman John Carlson. He posted consecutive three-point outings against the Panthers and Senators before notching an assist on Dennis Wideman‘s hat-trick goal in a 4-2 win over the Leafs. Carlson now leads all Caps defensemen in scoring and is second on the team in assists, with 15.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)