Dec 12, 2011, 4:02 PM EST
When it comes to suits, the New York Rangers have style.
That much was evident in a recent New York Post photo shoot as Henrik Lundqvist, Brandon Prust, Dan Girardi, Brian Boyle and Brad Richards modeled their respective formal wear. Leading the charge was Lundqvist, the team’s undisputed king of fashion.
“It’s funny because I took some heat coming here my first year. Some of the older guys thought it was funny, like my suits were pretty tight-fitting and skinny ties,” Lundqvist said. “There’s a lot of younger guys now, and more than half the team wears tailored suits.”
Lundqvist has his own fashion line — Tiger of Sweden — that includes stuff like silk handkerchiefs and bow ties, so no surprise he’s the best-dressed Ranger. What is surprising, though, is the fashion rivalry the noted haberdasher has created among his teammates.
“When you see Henrik dressed like that, you have to bring your A-game. We all know Henrik is the best-dressed, and he takes pride in that,” said Girardi.
“When I came to New York, I really got into fashion, and I kind of changed my own style. It’s almost like a competition, too. You want to be better-dressed than the next guy,” said Prust.
I appreciate the competitive streak, but there’s no way anybody will catch Lundqvist. See that photo? The belt he’s wearing cost King Henke 435 bucks. (*chokes on water*). Considering NHLers traditionally dress like door-to-door vacuum salesmen, I think Lundqvist’s ‘King of Fashion’ title is safe for now.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)