Dec 12, 2011, 4:02 PM EST
When it comes to suits, the New York Rangers have style.
That much was evident in a recent New York Post photo shoot as Henrik Lundqvist, Brandon Prust, Dan Girardi, Brian Boyle and Brad Richards modeled their respective formal wear. Leading the charge was Lundqvist, the team’s undisputed king of fashion.
“It’s funny because I took some heat coming here my first year. Some of the older guys thought it was funny, like my suits were pretty tight-fitting and skinny ties,” Lundqvist said. “There’s a lot of younger guys now, and more than half the team wears tailored suits.”
Lundqvist has his own fashion line — Tiger of Sweden — that includes stuff like silk handkerchiefs and bow ties, so no surprise he’s the best-dressed Ranger. What is surprising, though, is the fashion rivalry the noted haberdasher has created among his teammates.
“When you see Henrik dressed like that, you have to bring your A-game. We all know Henrik is the best-dressed, and he takes pride in that,” said Girardi.
“When I came to New York, I really got into fashion, and I kind of changed my own style. It’s almost like a competition, too. You want to be better-dressed than the next guy,” said Prust.
I appreciate the competitive streak, but there’s no way anybody will catch Lundqvist. See that photo? The belt he’s wearing cost King Henke 435 bucks. (*chokes on water*). Considering NHLers traditionally dress like door-to-door vacuum salesmen, I think Lundqvist’s ‘King of Fashion’ title is safe for now.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)