Dec 12, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
When it comes to suits, the New York Rangers have style.
That much was evident in a recent New York Post photo shoot as Henrik Lundqvist, Brandon Prust, Dan Girardi, Brian Boyle and Brad Richards modeled their respective formal wear. Leading the charge was Lundqvist, the team’s undisputed king of fashion.
“It’s funny because I took some heat coming here my first year. Some of the older guys thought it was funny, like my suits were pretty tight-fitting and skinny ties,” Lundqvist said. “There’s a lot of younger guys now, and more than half the team wears tailored suits.”
Lundqvist has his own fashion line — Tiger of Sweden — that includes stuff like silk handkerchiefs and bow ties, so no surprise he’s the best-dressed Ranger. What is surprising, though, is the fashion rivalry the noted haberdasher has created among his teammates.
“When you see Henrik dressed like that, you have to bring your A-game. We all know Henrik is the best-dressed, and he takes pride in that,” said Girardi.
“When I came to New York, I really got into fashion, and I kind of changed my own style. It’s almost like a competition, too. You want to be better-dressed than the next guy,” said Prust.
I appreciate the competitive streak, but there’s no way anybody will catch Lundqvist. See that photo? The belt he’s wearing cost King Henke 435 bucks. (*chokes on water*). Considering NHLers traditionally dress like door-to-door vacuum salesmen, I think Lundqvist’s ‘King of Fashion’ title is safe for now.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)