Dec 12, 2011, 4:02 PM EST
When it comes to suits, the New York Rangers have style.
That much was evident in a recent New York Post photo shoot as Henrik Lundqvist, Brandon Prust, Dan Girardi, Brian Boyle and Brad Richards modeled their respective formal wear. Leading the charge was Lundqvist, the team’s undisputed king of fashion.
“It’s funny because I took some heat coming here my first year. Some of the older guys thought it was funny, like my suits were pretty tight-fitting and skinny ties,” Lundqvist said. “There’s a lot of younger guys now, and more than half the team wears tailored suits.”
Lundqvist has his own fashion line — Tiger of Sweden — that includes stuff like silk handkerchiefs and bow ties, so no surprise he’s the best-dressed Ranger. What is surprising, though, is the fashion rivalry the noted haberdasher has created among his teammates.
“When you see Henrik dressed like that, you have to bring your A-game. We all know Henrik is the best-dressed, and he takes pride in that,” said Girardi.
“When I came to New York, I really got into fashion, and I kind of changed my own style. It’s almost like a competition, too. You want to be better-dressed than the next guy,” said Prust.
I appreciate the competitive streak, but there’s no way anybody will catch Lundqvist. See that photo? The belt he’s wearing cost King Henke 435 bucks. (*chokes on water*). Considering NHLers traditionally dress like door-to-door vacuum salesmen, I think Lundqvist’s ‘King of Fashion’ title is safe for now.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (110)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)