Dec 12, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
When it comes to suits, the New York Rangers have style.
That much was evident in a recent New York Post photo shoot as Henrik Lundqvist, Brandon Prust, Dan Girardi, Brian Boyle and Brad Richards modeled their respective formal wear. Leading the charge was Lundqvist, the team’s undisputed king of fashion.
“It’s funny because I took some heat coming here my first year. Some of the older guys thought it was funny, like my suits were pretty tight-fitting and skinny ties,” Lundqvist said. “There’s a lot of younger guys now, and more than half the team wears tailored suits.”
Lundqvist has his own fashion line — Tiger of Sweden — that includes stuff like silk handkerchiefs and bow ties, so no surprise he’s the best-dressed Ranger. What is surprising, though, is the fashion rivalry the noted haberdasher has created among his teammates.
“When you see Henrik dressed like that, you have to bring your A-game. We all know Henrik is the best-dressed, and he takes pride in that,” said Girardi.
“When I came to New York, I really got into fashion, and I kind of changed my own style. It’s almost like a competition, too. You want to be better-dressed than the next guy,” said Prust.
I appreciate the competitive streak, but there’s no way anybody will catch Lundqvist. See that photo? The belt he’s wearing cost King Henke 435 bucks. (*chokes on water*). Considering NHLers traditionally dress like door-to-door vacuum salesmen, I think Lundqvist’s ‘King of Fashion’ title is safe for now.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)