Dec 12, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Nikita Filatov doesn’t do backchecking and he doesn’t do the AHL either. Sport-Express’ Slava Malamud reported via Twitter this morning (since deleted) that Filatov is headed back to Russia after deciding he didn’t want to go back to Binghamton in the AHL. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos also confirmed Malamud’s report as did TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Senators GM Bryan Murray had to sign off the deal and was happy to do so.
Filatov had spent the last few games as a healthy scratch in Ottawa and without him getting any playing time, the Sens at least wanted to make sure he stayed in game shape by sending him to Binghamton. After spending a short time there already this season, Filatov decided he’s had enough of the up and down life and now heads back home to play in the KHL.
With Ottawa assigning Filatov to the KHL, they still retain his contractual rights so we might get to do this dance again next season if the Sens decide to negotiate with the impending restricted free agent. For now, it’s dasvidaniya to Filatov who may go down as one of the biggest draft busts of the last five years.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)