Dec 12, 2011, 9:52 AM EST
Nikita Filatov doesn’t do backchecking and he doesn’t do the AHL either. Sport-Express’ Slava Malamud reported via Twitter this morning (since deleted) that Filatov is headed back to Russia after deciding he didn’t want to go back to Binghamton in the AHL. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos also confirmed Malamud’s report as did TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Senators GM Bryan Murray had to sign off the deal and was happy to do so.
Filatov had spent the last few games as a healthy scratch in Ottawa and without him getting any playing time, the Sens at least wanted to make sure he stayed in game shape by sending him to Binghamton. After spending a short time there already this season, Filatov decided he’s had enough of the up and down life and now heads back home to play in the KHL.
With Ottawa assigning Filatov to the KHL, they still retain his contractual rights so we might get to do this dance again next season if the Sens decide to negotiate with the impending restricted free agent. For now, it’s dasvidaniya to Filatov who may go down as one of the biggest draft busts of the last five years.
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 84
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 8
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (84)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)