Dec 12, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Nikita Filatov doesn’t do backchecking and he doesn’t do the AHL either. Sport-Express’ Slava Malamud reported via Twitter this morning (since deleted) that Filatov is headed back to Russia after deciding he didn’t want to go back to Binghamton in the AHL. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos also confirmed Malamud’s report as did TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Senators GM Bryan Murray had to sign off the deal and was happy to do so.
Filatov had spent the last few games as a healthy scratch in Ottawa and without him getting any playing time, the Sens at least wanted to make sure he stayed in game shape by sending him to Binghamton. After spending a short time there already this season, Filatov decided he’s had enough of the up and down life and now heads back home to play in the KHL.
With Ottawa assigning Filatov to the KHL, they still retain his contractual rights so we might get to do this dance again next season if the Sens decide to negotiate with the impending restricted free agent. For now, it’s dasvidaniya to Filatov who may go down as one of the biggest draft busts of the last five years.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)