Dec 12, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Nikita Filatov doesn’t do backchecking and he doesn’t do the AHL either. Sport-Express’ Slava Malamud reported via Twitter this morning (since deleted) that Filatov is headed back to Russia after deciding he didn’t want to go back to Binghamton in the AHL. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos also confirmed Malamud’s report as did TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Senators GM Bryan Murray had to sign off the deal and was happy to do so.
Filatov had spent the last few games as a healthy scratch in Ottawa and without him getting any playing time, the Sens at least wanted to make sure he stayed in game shape by sending him to Binghamton. After spending a short time there already this season, Filatov decided he’s had enough of the up and down life and now heads back home to play in the KHL.
With Ottawa assigning Filatov to the KHL, they still retain his contractual rights so we might get to do this dance again next season if the Sens decide to negotiate with the impending restricted free agent. For now, it’s dasvidaniya to Filatov who may go down as one of the biggest draft busts of the last five years.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 14
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)