Dec 12, 2011, 9:52 AM EDT
Nikita Filatov doesn’t do backchecking and he doesn’t do the AHL either. Sport-Express’ Slava Malamud reported via Twitter this morning (since deleted) that Filatov is headed back to Russia after deciding he didn’t want to go back to Binghamton in the AHL. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos also confirmed Malamud’s report as did TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Senators GM Bryan Murray had to sign off the deal and was happy to do so.
Filatov had spent the last few games as a healthy scratch in Ottawa and without him getting any playing time, the Sens at least wanted to make sure he stayed in game shape by sending him to Binghamton. After spending a short time there already this season, Filatov decided he’s had enough of the up and down life and now heads back home to play in the KHL.
With Ottawa assigning Filatov to the KHL, they still retain his contractual rights so we might get to do this dance again next season if the Sens decide to negotiate with the impending restricted free agent. For now, it’s dasvidaniya to Filatov who may go down as one of the biggest draft busts of the last five years.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)