Dec 12, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
The Montreal Gazette’s Pat Hickey might’ve just bought himself a whole bunch of grief.
In a column titled “Theo Fleury hypocritical for blasting justice system’s handling of Graham James case,” Hickey takes dead aim at Fleury for failing to speak up sooner about being sexually abused by James.
Specifically, Hickey accuses Fleury of staying silent while both Fleury and James were co-owners of the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen.
Here was someone who had suffered abuse at the hands of Graham James. Here was someone who knew that James had abused other players. Here was someone who was exposing other children to the same sexual predator.
Fleury has been through enough counselling to know there’s a word for someone who acts in this fashion – enabler.
Hickey’s putting himself out there with this opinion. Blaming the victim in a sexual abuse case can be a perilous path for a columnist to take. Hope he’s prepared for the blowback.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 24
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 51
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)