Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Green is missing in action in Washington.
Not only is Green not playing due to an injury, Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com tells us that Green missed his third straight day of skating today. Green has been hurt more often than he’s played this year and his injury status has remained mostly a mystery since he went out of action weeks ago. Last we heard in mid-November was that he was out with a strained groin.
Green’s absence has been a source of issues for the Caps as they’ve been juggling players along the blue line opting to switch between John Erskine, Roman Hamrlik, and Jeff Schultz while rookie Dmitry Orlov was brought up from the AHL to try and figure things out. Dennis Wideman has helped out a bit offensively but Green is the guy that makes it all go.
The Caps are improving and looking stronger as the days go on with Dale Hunter in charge, but without Green they’re not as strong of a team. While teams like Philly and Toronto have had issues with being clear about player injuries, there’s been a virtual blackout about Mike Green’s status.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5