Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Green is missing in action in Washington.
Not only is Green not playing due to an injury, Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com tells us that Green missed his third straight day of skating today. Green has been hurt more often than he’s played this year and his injury status has remained mostly a mystery since he went out of action weeks ago. Last we heard in mid-November was that he was out with a strained groin.
Green’s absence has been a source of issues for the Caps as they’ve been juggling players along the blue line opting to switch between John Erskine, Roman Hamrlik, and Jeff Schultz while rookie Dmitry Orlov was brought up from the AHL to try and figure things out. Dennis Wideman has helped out a bit offensively but Green is the guy that makes it all go.
The Caps are improving and looking stronger as the days go on with Dale Hunter in charge, but without Green they’re not as strong of a team. While teams like Philly and Toronto have had issues with being clear about player injuries, there’s been a virtual blackout about Mike Green’s status.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 1
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 10
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 60
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)