Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Mike Green is missing in action in Washington.
Not only is Green not playing due to an injury, Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com tells us that Green missed his third straight day of skating today. Green has been hurt more often than he’s played this year and his injury status has remained mostly a mystery since he went out of action weeks ago. Last we heard in mid-November was that he was out with a strained groin.
Green’s absence has been a source of issues for the Caps as they’ve been juggling players along the blue line opting to switch between John Erskine, Roman Hamrlik, and Jeff Schultz while rookie Dmitry Orlov was brought up from the AHL to try and figure things out. Dennis Wideman has helped out a bit offensively but Green is the guy that makes it all go.
The Caps are improving and looking stronger as the days go on with Dale Hunter in charge, but without Green they’re not as strong of a team. While teams like Philly and Toronto have had issues with being clear about player injuries, there’s been a virtual blackout about Mike Green’s status.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)