Dec 12, 2011, 7:53 PM EDT
Andrew Desjardins won’t face a suspension for boarding Sami Lepisto, but he will be $2,500 poorer. Desjardins is the second player to receive the NHL’s maximum fine today, as Brad Marchand faced the same punishment for slew-footing Matt Niskanen.
My guess is that fine hurts Desjardins a bit more. He’s making $540,000 this season, so it’s likely that losing that chunk of change sends a clearer message to him than most NHLers, who probably light cigars with $100 bills while they cackle in their mansions.
(At least that’s what I imagine they do with their gobs of money.)
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 6
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1