Dec 11, 2011, 4:33 PM EST
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe is reporting that Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will be held out of Boston’s three games this week due to a leg injury.
It’s believed the towering defenseman will miss contests against Los Angeles (Tuesday), Ottawa (Wednesday) and Philadelphia (Saturday). If recovery goes well, Chara could draw back in for Boston’s home game against Montreal (Dec. 19), though the club could hold Chara out until after Christmas to further heal the injury.
If that’s the case, Chara’s return could be pushed all the way until Dec. 28, when the Bruins play in Phoenix.
The injury occurred when Chara collided with Columbus’ Antoine Vermette late in the second period of Saturday’s 5-3 win. Right now it’s being classified as a leg/lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) Chara’s left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
Should be noted that Chara wasn’t the only player lost in Saturday’s affair. Columbus forward Derek Dorsett suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury after his left skate bent awkwardly underneath him. It happened at 13:03 of the second and Dorsett did not return.
“It doesn’t look good right now,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)