Dec 11, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe is reporting that Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will be held out of Boston’s three games this week due to a leg injury.
It’s believed the towering defenseman will miss contests against Los Angeles (Tuesday), Ottawa (Wednesday) and Philadelphia (Saturday). If recovery goes well, Chara could draw back in for Boston’s home game against Montreal (Dec. 19), though the club could hold Chara out until after Christmas to further heal the injury.
If that’s the case, Chara’s return could be pushed all the way until Dec. 28, when the Bruins play in Phoenix.
The injury occurred when Chara collided with Columbus’ Antoine Vermette late in the second period of Saturday’s 5-3 win. Right now it’s being classified as a leg/lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) Chara’s left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
Should be noted that Chara wasn’t the only player lost in Saturday’s affair. Columbus forward Derek Dorsett suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury after his left skate bent awkwardly underneath him. It happened at 13:03 of the second and Dorsett did not return.
“It doesn’t look good right now,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)