Dec 11, 2011, 4:33 PM EST
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe is reporting that Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will be held out of Boston’s three games this week due to a leg injury.
It’s believed the towering defenseman will miss contests against Los Angeles (Tuesday), Ottawa (Wednesday) and Philadelphia (Saturday). If recovery goes well, Chara could draw back in for Boston’s home game against Montreal (Dec. 19), though the club could hold Chara out until after Christmas to further heal the injury.
If that’s the case, Chara’s return could be pushed all the way until Dec. 28, when the Bruins play in Phoenix.
The injury occurred when Chara collided with Columbus’ Antoine Vermette late in the second period of Saturday’s 5-3 win. Right now it’s being classified as a leg/lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) Chara’s left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
Should be noted that Chara wasn’t the only player lost in Saturday’s affair. Columbus forward Derek Dorsett suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury after his left skate bent awkwardly underneath him. It happened at 13:03 of the second and Dorsett did not return.
“It doesn’t look good right now,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)