Dec 11, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe is reporting that Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will be held out of Boston’s three games this week due to a leg injury.
It’s believed the towering defenseman will miss contests against Los Angeles (Tuesday), Ottawa (Wednesday) and Philadelphia (Saturday). If recovery goes well, Chara could draw back in for Boston’s home game against Montreal (Dec. 19), though the club could hold Chara out until after Christmas to further heal the injury.
If that’s the case, Chara’s return could be pushed all the way until Dec. 28, when the Bruins play in Phoenix.
The injury occurred when Chara collided with Columbus’ Antoine Vermette late in the second period of Saturday’s 5-3 win. Right now it’s being classified as a leg/lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) Chara’s left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
Should be noted that Chara wasn’t the only player lost in Saturday’s affair. Columbus forward Derek Dorsett suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury after his left skate bent awkwardly underneath him. It happened at 13:03 of the second and Dorsett did not return.
“It doesn’t look good right now,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)