Dec 11, 2011, 4:33 PM EST
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe is reporting that Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will be held out of Boston’s three games this week due to a leg injury.
It’s believed the towering defenseman will miss contests against Los Angeles (Tuesday), Ottawa (Wednesday) and Philadelphia (Saturday). If recovery goes well, Chara could draw back in for Boston’s home game against Montreal (Dec. 19), though the club could hold Chara out until after Christmas to further heal the injury.
If that’s the case, Chara’s return could be pushed all the way until Dec. 28, when the Bruins play in Phoenix.
The injury occurred when Chara collided with Columbus’ Antoine Vermette late in the second period of Saturday’s 5-3 win. Right now it’s being classified as a leg/lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) Chara’s left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
Should be noted that Chara wasn’t the only player lost in Saturday’s affair. Columbus forward Derek Dorsett suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury after his left skate bent awkwardly underneath him. It happened at 13:03 of the second and Dorsett did not return.
“It doesn’t look good right now,” Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel said.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)