Dec 11, 2011, 10:17 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks scored late, then won it in overtime, 3-2 over the San Jose Sharks Sunday at the United Center.
Tonight, Emery stopped 35 of 37 San Jose shots, keeping his team in the game through the first two periods when the Sharks outshot the Blackhawks, 33-13.
Emery hasn’t always been the quintessential team player, but he’s been saying all the right things while holding down the fort for Crawford.
“I think it might be an opportunity to give [Crawford] a bit of a rest,” he said yesterday. “Maybe that’s what my contribution can be to a successful playoff team — is having a fresh goalie.”
So he’s playing the “I’m just the backup, nothing more” role well.
But you know how these things go. If Emery keeps rolling and Crawford can’t turn it around, we could have ourselves a full-blown goalie controversy in Chicago.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)