Dec 11, 2011, 10:17 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks scored late, then won it in overtime, 3-2 over the San Jose Sharks Sunday at the United Center.
Tonight, Emery stopped 35 of 37 San Jose shots, keeping his team in the game through the first two periods when the Sharks outshot the Blackhawks, 33-13.
Emery hasn’t always been the quintessential team player, but he’s been saying all the right things while holding down the fort for Crawford.
“I think it might be an opportunity to give [Crawford] a bit of a rest,” he said yesterday. “Maybe that’s what my contribution can be to a successful playoff team — is having a fresh goalie.”
So he’s playing the “I’m just the backup, nothing more” role well.
But you know how these things go. If Emery keeps rolling and Crawford can’t turn it around, we could have ourselves a full-blown goalie controversy in Chicago.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)