Dec 11, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks scored late, then won it in overtime, 3-2 over the San Jose Sharks Sunday at the United Center.
Tonight, Emery stopped 35 of 37 San Jose shots, keeping his team in the game through the first two periods when the Sharks outshot the Blackhawks, 33-13.
Emery hasn’t always been the quintessential team player, but he’s been saying all the right things while holding down the fort for Crawford.
“I think it might be an opportunity to give [Crawford] a bit of a rest,” he said yesterday. “Maybe that’s what my contribution can be to a successful playoff team — is having a fresh goalie.”
So he’s playing the “I’m just the backup, nothing more” role well.
But you know how these things go. If Emery keeps rolling and Crawford can’t turn it around, we could have ourselves a full-blown goalie controversy in Chicago.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39