Dec 11, 2011, 2:38 PM EST
Almost a month ago, in PHT’s weekly Oddsmaker post, I asked whether the Minnesota Wild would make the playoffs. And of course I said no, passing up +175 odds in the process.
At the time, Minnesota was 10-5-3. Today it’s 20-7-3 and riding a seven-game winning streak.
Based on the 44-29-9 record that earned the Blackhawks eighth place in the Western Conference last season, the Wild would have to go a pedestrian 24-22-6 to make the playoffs.
Sports Club Stats has the Wild’s chances at 97.3%.
Even more promising for Minnesota fans, the team is starting to score some goals. The Wild has at least four goals in four of its last five games. Yesterday’s 4-1 victory over Phoenix was its first three-goal win since beating Calgary 3-0 on Nov. 8. Amazingly, there were 11 wins between – all by one goal, two goals, or in a shootout.
Altogether, Minnesota has 11 one-goal victories (most in the NHL) and six two-goal victories (most in the NHL).
Another thing going for the Wild is its Northwest Division schedule. Edmonton and Colorado started the season strong, but both have fallen off as expected. Calgary is playing better lately, but only marginally. The Canucks are the only elite team in that division.
So, yeah, Minnesota’s probably making the playoffs.
PS — Jinx!
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 14
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 29
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)