Dec 11, 2011, 2:38 PM EST
Almost a month ago, in PHT’s weekly Oddsmaker post, I asked whether the Minnesota Wild would make the playoffs. And of course I said no, passing up +175 odds in the process.
At the time, Minnesota was 10-5-3. Today it’s 20-7-3 and riding a seven-game winning streak.
Based on the 44-29-9 record that earned the Blackhawks eighth place in the Western Conference last season, the Wild would have to go a pedestrian 24-22-6 to make the playoffs.
Sports Club Stats has the Wild’s chances at 97.3%.
Even more promising for Minnesota fans, the team is starting to score some goals. The Wild has at least four goals in four of its last five games. Yesterday’s 4-1 victory over Phoenix was its first three-goal win since beating Calgary 3-0 on Nov. 8. Amazingly, there were 11 wins between – all by one goal, two goals, or in a shootout.
Altogether, Minnesota has 11 one-goal victories (most in the NHL) and six two-goal victories (most in the NHL).
Another thing going for the Wild is its Northwest Division schedule. Edmonton and Colorado started the season strong, but both have fallen off as expected. Calgary is playing better lately, but only marginally. The Canucks are the only elite team in that division.
So, yeah, Minnesota’s probably making the playoffs.
PS — Jinx!
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)