Dec 11, 2011, 2:38 PM EDT
Almost a month ago, in PHT’s weekly Oddsmaker post, I asked whether the Minnesota Wild would make the playoffs. And of course I said no, passing up +175 odds in the process.
At the time, Minnesota was 10-5-3. Today it’s 20-7-3 and riding a seven-game winning streak.
Based on the 44-29-9 record that earned the Blackhawks eighth place in the Western Conference last season, the Wild would have to go a pedestrian 24-22-6 to make the playoffs.
Sports Club Stats has the Wild’s chances at 97.3%.
Even more promising for Minnesota fans, the team is starting to score some goals. The Wild has at least four goals in four of its last five games. Yesterday’s 4-1 victory over Phoenix was its first three-goal win since beating Calgary 3-0 on Nov. 8. Amazingly, there were 11 wins between – all by one goal, two goals, or in a shootout.
Altogether, Minnesota has 11 one-goal victories (most in the NHL) and six two-goal victories (most in the NHL).
Another thing going for the Wild is its Northwest Division schedule. Edmonton and Colorado started the season strong, but both have fallen off as expected. Calgary is playing better lately, but only marginally. The Canucks are the only elite team in that division.
So, yeah, Minnesota’s probably making the playoffs.
PS — Jinx!
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)