Dec 11, 2011, 2:38 PM EDT
Almost a month ago, in PHT’s weekly Oddsmaker post, I asked whether the Minnesota Wild would make the playoffs. And of course I said no, passing up +175 odds in the process.
At the time, Minnesota was 10-5-3. Today it’s 20-7-3 and riding a seven-game winning streak.
Based on the 44-29-9 record that earned the Blackhawks eighth place in the Western Conference last season, the Wild would have to go a pedestrian 24-22-6 to make the playoffs.
Sports Club Stats has the Wild’s chances at 97.3%.
Even more promising for Minnesota fans, the team is starting to score some goals. The Wild has at least four goals in four of its last five games. Yesterday’s 4-1 victory over Phoenix was its first three-goal win since beating Calgary 3-0 on Nov. 8. Amazingly, there were 11 wins between – all by one goal, two goals, or in a shootout.
Altogether, Minnesota has 11 one-goal victories (most in the NHL) and six two-goal victories (most in the NHL).
Another thing going for the Wild is its Northwest Division schedule. Edmonton and Colorado started the season strong, but both have fallen off as expected. Calgary is playing better lately, but only marginally. The Canucks are the only elite team in that division.
So, yeah, Minnesota’s probably making the playoffs.
PS — Jinx!
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)