Dec 11, 2011, 1:18 PM EST
Lisa Dillman of the L.A. Times reports the Kings were booed off the ice last night following a 2-1 loss to Dallas.
The loss was Los Angeles’ fourth straight (and seventh in its last nine games). Over that period, the Kings scored just six goals and now sit last overall in goals per game (2.21), five-on-five goals (38) and first period goals (11).
Yes, that’s right — the Kings have scored 11 times in 29 first periods.
As such, Dillman asked Kings captain Dustin Brown about a potential shakeup. Given crosstown rival Anaheim made a big move in light of its struggles — firing head coach Randy Carlyle after losing 16 of 19 games — it’s been suggested L.A. do the same.
So, does Brown see change on the horizon?
“It’s hard to say. I’ve never been on a team that’s good, that’s gone through this,” Brown said. “That’s probably the biggest difference for me. We have a good team in here. We’re capable of doing everything we need to with the people we have in here.
“I don’t think guys consciously think about that. Maybe it’s in the back of some guys’ heads.”
It’s probably at the front of head coach Terry Murray’s head. As Brough wrote earlier in the week, the veteran bench boss has been in L.A. since the start of the 2008-09 season, yet hasn’t led his team past the first round of the playoffs. This was supposed to be the season the Kings put it all together, but clearly that’s not happening — and Murray has to be feeling the heat.
Much like we heard from the Ducks prior to Carlyle’s firing, Brown alluded to a lack of urgency and intensity in the team’s play.
“Right now, we’ve got to be more desperate,” he said. “We’re not desperate enough right now.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 0
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 9
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 6
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 20
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)