Dec 11, 2011, 10:42 AM EST
Last night’s 5-3 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets proved costly for the Boston Bruins.
B’s captain Zdeno Chara collided with Antoine Vermette late in the second period and didn’t return to the contest. It’s being classified as a lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) his left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
“Right now he’s being evaluated,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told NHL.com. “I don’t know how serious it is. All I was told was that he wouldn’t come back in the third and that he had a lower-body injury.”
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe noted Chara was walking without noticeable discomfort after the game and traveled back to Boston last night for re-evaluation. The Bruins’ next game is Tuesday night at home against Los Angeles.
Losing Chara — who’s off to a stellar start — would be tough for the Bruins. He leads all B’s defensemen in goals (with six, tying him for second in the league) and averages over 25 minutes a night, usually lining up against the opposition’s best forwards.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)