Dec 11, 2011, 10:42 AM EDT
Last night’s 5-3 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets proved costly for the Boston Bruins.
B’s captain Zdeno Chara collided with Antoine Vermette late in the second period and didn’t return to the contest. It’s being classified as a lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) his left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
“Right now he’s being evaluated,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told NHL.com. “I don’t know how serious it is. All I was told was that he wouldn’t come back in the third and that he had a lower-body injury.”
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe noted Chara was walking without noticeable discomfort after the game and traveled back to Boston last night for re-evaluation. The Bruins’ next game is Tuesday night at home against Los Angeles.
Losing Chara — who’s off to a stellar start — would be tough for the Bruins. He leads all B’s defensemen in goals (with six, tying him for second in the league) and averages over 25 minutes a night, usually lining up against the opposition’s best forwards.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)