Dec 11, 2011, 10:42 AM EDT
Last night’s 5-3 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets proved costly for the Boston Bruins.
B’s captain Zdeno Chara collided with Antoine Vermette late in the second period and didn’t return to the contest. It’s being classified as a lower-body injury, though judging by the video (which you can see here) his left knee appeared to buckle upon contact with Vermette.
“Right now he’s being evaluated,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told NHL.com. “I don’t know how serious it is. All I was told was that he wouldn’t come back in the third and that he had a lower-body injury.”
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe noted Chara was walking without noticeable discomfort after the game and traveled back to Boston last night for re-evaluation. The Bruins’ next game is Tuesday night at home against Los Angeles.
Losing Chara — who’s off to a stellar start — would be tough for the Bruins. He leads all B’s defensemen in goals (with six, tying him for second in the league) and averages over 25 minutes a night, usually lining up against the opposition’s best forwards.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)