Dec 11, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes announced two injuries today. The first is to backup netminder Brian Boucher (lower body), which landed the veteran on injured reserve. The second is to sophomore sensation Jeff Skinner (undisclosed).
The ‘Canes didn’t offer additional details on what’s ailing the reigning NHL rookie of the year. Skinner leads the Hurricanes with 12 goals and 24 points.
So let’s investigate, shall we?
On Wednesday night, Skinner was demolished by Edmonton’s Andy Sutton in a 5-3 Carolina victory:
The hit occurred late in the third period and Skinner didn’t return to the contest. Two nights later, Skinner was scratched from the ‘Canes lineup against Winnipeg with “flu-like symptoms” (the move caught Carolina off-guard, as it was forced to dress only 19 skaters for the game.)
Today, the club announced he’s out with an undisclosed injury.
To fill Skinner’s void, the Hurricanes have called up forward Drayson Bowman from its AHL affiliate in Charlotte. He’ll join the team prior to Tuesday’s game in Toronto, a game which we’ll be keeping a close eye on to see if Skinner makes his return to the lineup. It should be mentioned that Friday’s game against the Jets was the first Skinner has missed in his NHL career — he played all 82 last season and dressed for Carolina’s first 30 games this year.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)