Dec 11, 2011, 3:45 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes announced two injuries today. The first is to backup netminder Brian Boucher (lower body), which landed the veteran on injured reserve. The second is to sophomore sensation Jeff Skinner (undisclosed).
The ‘Canes didn’t offer additional details on what’s ailing the reigning NHL rookie of the year. Skinner leads the Hurricanes with 12 goals and 24 points.
So let’s investigate, shall we?
On Wednesday night, Skinner was demolished by Edmonton’s Andy Sutton in a 5-3 Carolina victory:
The hit occurred late in the third period and Skinner didn’t return to the contest. Two nights later, Skinner was scratched from the ‘Canes lineup against Winnipeg with “flu-like symptoms” (the move caught Carolina off-guard, as it was forced to dress only 19 skaters for the game.)
Today, the club announced he’s out with an undisclosed injury.
To fill Skinner’s void, the Hurricanes have called up forward Drayson Bowman from its AHL affiliate in Charlotte. He’ll join the team prior to Tuesday’s game in Toronto, a game which we’ll be keeping a close eye on to see if Skinner makes his return to the lineup. It should be mentioned that Friday’s game against the Jets was the first Skinner has missed in his NHL career — he played all 82 last season and dressed for Carolina’s first 30 games this year.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)