Dec 10, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
Not all body checks that lead to concussions are illegal hits. For anyone who was wondering the difference, Nick Foligno lit up Cody Hodgson in the first period of the Canucks/Sens game on Saturday night. Hodgson corrals the puck and starts up the boards in his own zone and makes the unfortunate decision to cut towards the middle. Instead of finding open ice, Hodgson found a huge piece of a Nick Foligno check.
The Sens forward delivers a perfectly clean check. He keeps his elbow down and stays on his feet as he drives through Hodgson. There’s contact with the head, but only because Hodgson is bending over and makes a late turn into Foligno. Hopefully Andy Sutton was watching and taking notes.
Hodgson was clearly dazed, struggled to find his balance on his feet, and had to be helped to the bench. It was quickly announced that he would not return to the game.
On the ensuing shift, Canucks forward Dale Weise went straight towards Foligno to make him answer for the huge check on a skilled player. Foligno obliged, they dropped the gloves, and settled business. Much respect to Weise for standing up for his teammate; much respect to Foligno for taking a challenger that is doing his job.
(Update: It continued to be a memorable night for Foligno. Midway through the second period, he hit Ryan Kesler almost the same spot in the ice and was given boarding call… and a 10-minute misconduct for his vocal disagreement with the call.)
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)