Dec 10, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
Not all body checks that lead to concussions are illegal hits. For anyone who was wondering the difference, Nick Foligno lit up Cody Hodgson in the first period of the Canucks/Sens game on Saturday night. Hodgson corrals the puck and starts up the boards in his own zone and makes the unfortunate decision to cut towards the middle. Instead of finding open ice, Hodgson found a huge piece of a Nick Foligno check.
The Sens forward delivers a perfectly clean check. He keeps his elbow down and stays on his feet as he drives through Hodgson. There’s contact with the head, but only because Hodgson is bending over and makes a late turn into Foligno. Hopefully Andy Sutton was watching and taking notes.
Hodgson was clearly dazed, struggled to find his balance on his feet, and had to be helped to the bench. It was quickly announced that he would not return to the game.
On the ensuing shift, Canucks forward Dale Weise went straight towards Foligno to make him answer for the huge check on a skilled player. Foligno obliged, they dropped the gloves, and settled business. Much respect to Weise for standing up for his teammate; much respect to Foligno for taking a challenger that is doing his job.
(Update: It continued to be a memorable night for Foligno. Midway through the second period, he hit Ryan Kesler almost the same spot in the ice and was given boarding call… and a 10-minute misconduct for his vocal disagreement with the call.)
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)