Dec 10, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
The team isn’t calling it a concussion (it’s an upper-body injury), but Mike Richards is still recovering from the hit on the chin he took from Sean Bergenheim that seemed to daze him a week ago. He continues to ride the exercise bike and has been increasing his workouts, but his return is still not imminent.
Richards was seen this afternoon after the Kings pregame skate in preparation for LA’s game against the Stars tonight at Staples Center. Richards spoke with the media and was asked if he’d be joining the team on their upcoming four-game road trip to the Eastern time zone. “I’m not going to start with them,” Richards told LA Kings Insider. “I hope to join them at some point during the trip. I’d like to elaborate on it, but there’s not much to really say.’’
So the update is really a non-update.
The sooner Richards returns to the lineup, the better things will be for the Kings. The team has a 0-3 record without their new centerman and has had a plenty of trouble scoring goals lately. The goal scoring woes actually extend further than just the last three games, so the last thing they need is for their leading goal-scorer to be out for an extended period of time. The Kings are currently dead last in the NHL in scoring and without Richards; they’ve had a hard time finding a line that can consistently bring pressure like the Kopitar line.
It’s not like things are going to get easier for the Kings either. After tonight’s game against the Stars, their road trip includes dates with both the Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings. Los Angeles has been careful not to rush Richards—but they could certainly use him sooner rather than later.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 13
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)