Dec 10, 2011, 6:08 PM EDT
The team isn’t calling it a concussion (it’s an upper-body injury), but Mike Richards is still recovering from the hit on the chin he took from Sean Bergenheim that seemed to daze him a week ago. He continues to ride the exercise bike and has been increasing his workouts, but his return is still not imminent.
Richards was seen this afternoon after the Kings pregame skate in preparation for LA’s game against the Stars tonight at Staples Center. Richards spoke with the media and was asked if he’d be joining the team on their upcoming four-game road trip to the Eastern time zone. “I’m not going to start with them,” Richards told LA Kings Insider. “I hope to join them at some point during the trip. I’d like to elaborate on it, but there’s not much to really say.’’
So the update is really a non-update.
The sooner Richards returns to the lineup, the better things will be for the Kings. The team has a 0-3 record without their new centerman and has had a plenty of trouble scoring goals lately. The goal scoring woes actually extend further than just the last three games, so the last thing they need is for their leading goal-scorer to be out for an extended period of time. The Kings are currently dead last in the NHL in scoring and without Richards; they’ve had a hard time finding a line that can consistently bring pressure like the Kopitar line.
It’s not like things are going to get easier for the Kings either. After tonight’s game against the Stars, their road trip includes dates with both the Boston Bruins and Detroit Red Wings. Los Angeles has been careful not to rush Richards—but they could certainly use him sooner rather than later.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)