Dec 10, 2011, 12:21 PM EST
Peter Laviolette is going to make sure everyone remembers how to stall once again.
We’re sure you remember how the Flyers handled Tampa Bay’s 1-3-1 trap the last time they played. Guy Boucher’s “stalling” technique created a firestorm of debate on how to handle their defensive system. As the teams are set to square off again tonight, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette says they’re prepared to do things the same way.
Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily gets the word from Laviolette how things will go against Tampa Bay should the passive 1-3-1 come back again.
“Typically we don’t like to announce our game plan for the opponent to the newspaper,” said Peter Laviolette with a wry smile, “but we might sit there for four or five minutes at a time. We might.”
It’s all fun and games until the fans fall asleep in their seats. Depending on which side of the debate you fall on, how this sort of non-lethal “Mexican standoff” doesn’t do the game any favors.
We get it that Tampa does things a bit different and the Flyers don’t want to play into their hands, but let’s hope that Tampa’s inability to keep the puck out of their net will be a better motivator for the Flyers to attack them.
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 50
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)