Dec 10, 2011, 12:21 PM EST
Peter Laviolette is going to make sure everyone remembers how to stall once again.
We’re sure you remember how the Flyers handled Tampa Bay’s 1-3-1 trap the last time they played. Guy Boucher’s “stalling” technique created a firestorm of debate on how to handle their defensive system. As the teams are set to square off again tonight, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette says they’re prepared to do things the same way.
Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily gets the word from Laviolette how things will go against Tampa Bay should the passive 1-3-1 come back again.
“Typically we don’t like to announce our game plan for the opponent to the newspaper,” said Peter Laviolette with a wry smile, “but we might sit there for four or five minutes at a time. We might.”
It’s all fun and games until the fans fall asleep in their seats. Depending on which side of the debate you fall on, how this sort of non-lethal “Mexican standoff” doesn’t do the game any favors.
We get it that Tampa does things a bit different and the Flyers don’t want to play into their hands, but let’s hope that Tampa’s inability to keep the puck out of their net will be a better motivator for the Flyers to attack them.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)