Dec 10, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
Peter Laviolette is going to make sure everyone remembers how to stall once again.
We’re sure you remember how the Flyers handled Tampa Bay’s 1-3-1 trap the last time they played. Guy Boucher’s “stalling” technique created a firestorm of debate on how to handle their defensive system. As the teams are set to square off again tonight, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette says they’re prepared to do things the same way.
Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily gets the word from Laviolette how things will go against Tampa Bay should the passive 1-3-1 come back again.
“Typically we don’t like to announce our game plan for the opponent to the newspaper,” said Peter Laviolette with a wry smile, “but we might sit there for four or five minutes at a time. We might.”
It’s all fun and games until the fans fall asleep in their seats. Depending on which side of the debate you fall on, how this sort of non-lethal “Mexican standoff” doesn’t do the game any favors.
We get it that Tampa does things a bit different and the Flyers don’t want to play into their hands, but let’s hope that Tampa’s inability to keep the puck out of their net will be a better motivator for the Flyers to attack them.
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 7
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 11
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 19
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)