Dec 10, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
Peter Laviolette is going to make sure everyone remembers how to stall once again.
We’re sure you remember how the Flyers handled Tampa Bay’s 1-3-1 trap the last time they played. Guy Boucher’s “stalling” technique created a firestorm of debate on how to handle their defensive system. As the teams are set to square off again tonight, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette says they’re prepared to do things the same way.
Dave Isaac of Philly Sports Daily gets the word from Laviolette how things will go against Tampa Bay should the passive 1-3-1 come back again.
“Typically we don’t like to announce our game plan for the opponent to the newspaper,” said Peter Laviolette with a wry smile, “but we might sit there for four or five minutes at a time. We might.”
It’s all fun and games until the fans fall asleep in their seats. Depending on which side of the debate you fall on, how this sort of non-lethal “Mexican standoff” doesn’t do the game any favors.
We get it that Tampa does things a bit different and the Flyers don’t want to play into their hands, but let’s hope that Tampa’s inability to keep the puck out of their net will be a better motivator for the Flyers to attack them.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)