Dec 10, 2011, 9:22 PM EST
Just when the Flyers thought things couldn’t get any worse on the injury front, the hits just keep on coming. This time, offensive catalyst and early Hart Trophy contender Claude Giroux took an accidental knee to the side of the head by teammate Wayne Simmonds. Obviously, friendly fire isn’t all that friendly.
The play occurred near the end of the second period of Saturday night’s game in Philadelphia between the Flyers and Lightning. Giroux headed straight to the bench after the accidental collision and promptly received medical attention from the training staff. He eventually was forced to the locker room before the period came to a conclusion.
As if Giroux leaving the bench wasn’t bad enough, Flyers fans really had reason to worry when the superstar wasn’t able to return to the bench for the third period. If he had gone to the “quiet room” for 10 minutes and everything went well, he would have been able to return by the start of the final frame. Since he wasn’t able to answer the bell, well…
Fans in the Wells Fargo Center took note as well when they saw their team return to the ice for the third period. All eyes were on the bench looking for No. 28 to exit the tunnel and return to the bench. When he didn’t, reality started to settle in that Giroux, Chris Pronger, and Brayden Schenn could all be sidelined at the same time with concussions.
Obviously the organization will be cautious with the recent concussion problems on the roster. Something to remember when a player takes a rough shot to the head is that even if he returns, it’s something that could linger for days before it’s properly diagnosed. Remember, this wouldn’t be the first time Giroux suffered a concussion– he’s already gone through the ordeal back in 2009.
As if losing Giroux wasn’t enough, Ilya Bryzgalov headed to the bench in the middle of the third period. If the Flyers didn’t have bad luck, they wouldn’t have any luck at all.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)