Dec 10, 2011, 9:22 PM EDT
Just when the Flyers thought things couldn’t get any worse on the injury front, the hits just keep on coming. This time, offensive catalyst and early Hart Trophy contender Claude Giroux took an accidental knee to the side of the head by teammate Wayne Simmonds. Obviously, friendly fire isn’t all that friendly.
The play occurred near the end of the second period of Saturday night’s game in Philadelphia between the Flyers and Lightning. Giroux headed straight to the bench after the accidental collision and promptly received medical attention from the training staff. He eventually was forced to the locker room before the period came to a conclusion.
As if Giroux leaving the bench wasn’t bad enough, Flyers fans really had reason to worry when the superstar wasn’t able to return to the bench for the third period. If he had gone to the “quiet room” for 10 minutes and everything went well, he would have been able to return by the start of the final frame. Since he wasn’t able to answer the bell, well…
Fans in the Wells Fargo Center took note as well when they saw their team return to the ice for the third period. All eyes were on the bench looking for No. 28 to exit the tunnel and return to the bench. When he didn’t, reality started to settle in that Giroux, Chris Pronger, and Brayden Schenn could all be sidelined at the same time with concussions.
Obviously the organization will be cautious with the recent concussion problems on the roster. Something to remember when a player takes a rough shot to the head is that even if he returns, it’s something that could linger for days before it’s properly diagnosed. Remember, this wouldn’t be the first time Giroux suffered a concussion– he’s already gone through the ordeal back in 2009.
As if losing Giroux wasn’t enough, Ilya Bryzgalov headed to the bench in the middle of the third period. If the Flyers didn’t have bad luck, they wouldn’t have any luck at all.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 2
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 8
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)