Dec 9, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
This is the Weekend Watch. It’s a guide of what to watch this weekend.
Saturday: Tampa Bay at Philadelphia, 7pm ET
This one has all the makings of…
/puts on sunglasses
A trap game.
Saturday: Anaheim at Nashville, 8pm ET
Lingering beef alert! These two have mad history, yo.
There was that time Jarkko Ruutu KOed Martin Erat. Then that time when Bobby Ryan stomped on Jonathan Blum. And we can’t forget about Corey Perry spearing Pekka Rinne, or when Ducks GM Bob Murray said the Preds were “diving left and right” during the playoffs.
Remember the time Ryan Getzlaf fought Mike Fisher? Or when Francois Beauchemin KOed Fisher? That was also that fight between Brian McGrattan and George Parros. Shortly after that, Getzlaf called Jordin Tootoo an embarrassment and then Barry Trotz told Getzlaf to take care of business on the ice, not complain through the newspapers.
Best part? This will be Tootoo’s first game back after getting suspended for running Ryan Miller. Hoo boy.
Saturday: Vancouver at Ottawa, 7pm ET
Lingering beef alert (again)! The last time these two met, Canucks forward Alex Burrows either intentionally or unintentionally opened the bench door as Maxim Lapierre was hitting Jesse Winchester, resulting in this:
Winchester didn’t like it, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch didn’t like it and Burrows pleaded innocence (on the pretense he wouldn’t hurt a fellow Quebec guy, even though Winchester’s from Ontario.)
Saturday: San Jose at St. Louis, 8pm ET
The two appeared to have buried the hatchet when Thornton texted Perron prior to the Blues LW making his season debut against Chicago on Dec. 3, but maybe another St. Louis player takes a run at Thornton. Maybe that guy is the diminutive Scott Nichol, who gamely fought Thornton back in 2008.
Sunday: Florida at New York Rangers, 7pm ET
Deveaux received a three-game suspension for the hit, one that drew the ire of Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen.
“The refs certainly got the right call calling a match penalty,” Dineed said. “That’s the kind of thing, again at the end of the year, you put together tapes of what’s really wrong with the game, that hit would be one of them.”
Enjoy the weekend, everyone.
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 8
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)