Dec 9, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Some bizarre news out of Philadelphia today as Flyers GM Paul Holmgren updated the health of defenseman Chris Pronger.
“While Chris’ knee is improving, he has struggled with other issues that are concussion-like symptoms,” Holmgren told the Flyers website. “Chris will see Dr. Joe Maroon and Dr. Mickey Collins on Wednesday, December 14th in Pittsburgh for further evaluation. Chris will be out indefinitely.”
This is a shocking turn of events. On Dec. 1, Pronger discussed a ‘mystery illness’ with CSN Philadelphia and talked about the concussion baseline test he underwent.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.”
Pundits are now trying to piece together the last two months and figure out what happened, when it happened and how it happened. Here’s TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
If this is the case, questions will be asked of the Philadelphia organization. Pronger was out of the lineup 16 days (six games) after suffering the eye injury but proceeded to play huge minutes upon rejoining the team. In his final game — a 6-4 loss to Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — Pronger played a season-high 26:41.
This year has been an injury nightmare for Pronger. In addition to the eye injury and concussion, he also underwent arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 4
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)