Dec 9, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Some bizarre news out of Philadelphia today as Flyers GM Paul Holmgren updated the health of defenseman Chris Pronger.
“While Chris’ knee is improving, he has struggled with other issues that are concussion-like symptoms,” Holmgren told the Flyers website. “Chris will see Dr. Joe Maroon and Dr. Mickey Collins on Wednesday, December 14th in Pittsburgh for further evaluation. Chris will be out indefinitely.”
This is a shocking turn of events. On Dec. 1, Pronger discussed a ‘mystery illness’ with CSN Philadelphia and talked about the concussion baseline test he underwent.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.”
Pundits are now trying to piece together the last two months and figure out what happened, when it happened and how it happened. Here’s TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
If this is the case, questions will be asked of the Philadelphia organization. Pronger was out of the lineup 16 days (six games) after suffering the eye injury but proceeded to play huge minutes upon rejoining the team. In his final game — a 6-4 loss to Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — Pronger played a season-high 26:41.
This year has been an injury nightmare for Pronger. In addition to the eye injury and concussion, he also underwent arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee.
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)