Dec 9, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
Some bizarre news out of Philadelphia today as Flyers GM Paul Holmgren updated the health of defenseman Chris Pronger.
“While Chris’ knee is improving, he has struggled with other issues that are concussion-like symptoms,” Holmgren told the Flyers website. “Chris will see Dr. Joe Maroon and Dr. Mickey Collins on Wednesday, December 14th in Pittsburgh for further evaluation. Chris will be out indefinitely.”
This is a shocking turn of events. On Dec. 1, Pronger discussed a ‘mystery illness’ with CSN Philadelphia and talked about the concussion baseline test he underwent.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.”
Pundits are now trying to piece together the last two months and figure out what happened, when it happened and how it happened. Here’s TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
If this is the case, questions will be asked of the Philadelphia organization. Pronger was out of the lineup 16 days (six games) after suffering the eye injury but proceeded to play huge minutes upon rejoining the team. In his final game — a 6-4 loss to Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — Pronger played a season-high 26:41.
This year has been an injury nightmare for Pronger. In addition to the eye injury and concussion, he also underwent arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)