Dec 9, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
Some bizarre news out of Philadelphia today as Flyers GM Paul Holmgren updated the health of defenseman Chris Pronger.
“While Chris’ knee is improving, he has struggled with other issues that are concussion-like symptoms,” Holmgren told the Flyers website. “Chris will see Dr. Joe Maroon and Dr. Mickey Collins on Wednesday, December 14th in Pittsburgh for further evaluation. Chris will be out indefinitely.”
This is a shocking turn of events. On Dec. 1, Pronger discussed a ‘mystery illness’ with CSN Philadelphia and talked about the concussion baseline test he underwent.
“I just didn’t feel well, I didn’t know what it was,” Pronger said. “I never felt like that before with headaches and nausea, and that stuff. I had a concussion baseline test and passed that…I got lightheaded, had headaches, you’re nauseous.”
Pundits are now trying to piece together the last two months and figure out what happened, when it happened and how it happened. Here’s TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
If this is the case, questions will be asked of the Philadelphia organization. Pronger was out of the lineup 16 days (six games) after suffering the eye injury but proceeded to play huge minutes upon rejoining the team. In his final game — a 6-4 loss to Winnipeg on Nov. 19 — Pronger played a season-high 26:41.
This year has been an injury nightmare for Pronger. In addition to the eye injury and concussion, he also underwent arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 11
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 64
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)