Dec 9, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
With his team mired in a slump and coming off a home loss to the woeful Carolina Hurricanes, Oilers coach Tom Renney did what any good bench boss would do:
Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun got this nugget in speaking with Renney about winger Ales Hemsky.
“You have to watch how you talk about this kind of stuff because it’s the guy’s tool, but his stick drives me crazy,” Renney said. “It looks like a road hockey stick when I was a kid.”
Investigation into Hemsky’s stick (gotta be a better way to say that) revealed little. This Edmonton Journal piece from 2009 quotes Hemsky as saying “I spent a lot of time on my sticks” and there’s message board banter about a “Hemsky curve” — referring to the bend he puts on his stick blade. I guess it’s a rather unique curve? Whatever the case, the investigation didn’t reveal much.
If I had to guess, Renney’s equipment criticism is a roundabout way of criticizing Hemsky’s shooting (or lack thereof). While he’s been better as of late — 15 shots on goal over his last three games — he looked almost terrified of directing the puck towards the opponent’s net in the early part of the season. Hemsky recorded just 17 shots over 12 games in November, including a performance against Nashville where he didn’t put a single shot on goal…despite playing almost 19 minutes.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)