Dec 9, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
With his team mired in a slump and coming off a home loss to the woeful Carolina Hurricanes, Oilers coach Tom Renney did what any good bench boss would do:
Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun got this nugget in speaking with Renney about winger Ales Hemsky.
“You have to watch how you talk about this kind of stuff because it’s the guy’s tool, but his stick drives me crazy,” Renney said. “It looks like a road hockey stick when I was a kid.”
Investigation into Hemsky’s stick (gotta be a better way to say that) revealed little. This Edmonton Journal piece from 2009 quotes Hemsky as saying “I spent a lot of time on my sticks” and there’s message board banter about a “Hemsky curve” — referring to the bend he puts on his stick blade. I guess it’s a rather unique curve? Whatever the case, the investigation didn’t reveal much.
If I had to guess, Renney’s equipment criticism is a roundabout way of criticizing Hemsky’s shooting (or lack thereof). While he’s been better as of late — 15 shots on goal over his last three games — he looked almost terrified of directing the puck towards the opponent’s net in the early part of the season. Hemsky recorded just 17 shots over 12 games in November, including a performance against Nashville where he didn’t put a single shot on goal…despite playing almost 19 minutes.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 6
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 17
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)