Dec 9, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
“Three (News) Stars of the Week” will run every Friday. It’s our way of acknowledging the week’s big NHL stories that gave us lots of page views, thereby increasing PHT’s attractiveness to advertisers.
Third star: Sid on the shelf
The hockey world got a jolt Wednesday when it was learned that Sidney Crosby would be sitting out the next two Penguins games “as a precaution.” The game’s best player that’s only just returned from an extended concussion-related absence felt a slight headache after Wednesday’s practice, thus the decision to take a little break. “It’s been a long road back and we want to err on the side of caution,” said Crosby. No official word yet if he’ll be in the lineup Tuesday when Pittsburgh hosts Detroit, but as soon as we know, you’ll know. Just keep hitting refresh.
Second star: Ovechkin on the juice?
That’s what John Steigerwald implied in a column for a Pennsylvania newspaper. And yes, Steigerwald is the brother of Penguins play-by-play man Paul Steigerwald. And yes, the Penguins and Capitals have a rather fierce rivalry. Not surprisingly, the column produced an internet frenzy. It also provided a good lesson for all you aspiring sports journalists out there. Want to get your name out there? Steroid allegations never fail. For best results, accuse a Russian.
First star: So long, divisions
The NHL’s board of governors met this week in Pebble Beach. Not to yank tee shots into the Pacific, but to drastically realign the league. Assuming the NHLPA says it’s cool, there will be four conferences next season – two with eight teams, two with seven. The top four teams from each conference will make the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs will be played within the conference. There might even be a Leafs-Rangers Stanley Cup final, but let’s cross that bridge to the apocalypse when we get to it. Or blow up the bridge. Whatever.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 27
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 65
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)