Dec 9, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
“Three (News) Stars of the Week” will run every Friday. It’s our way of acknowledging the week’s big NHL stories that gave us lots of page views, thereby increasing PHT’s attractiveness to advertisers.
Third star: Sid on the shelf
The hockey world got a jolt Wednesday when it was learned that Sidney Crosby would be sitting out the next two Penguins games “as a precaution.” The game’s best player that’s only just returned from an extended concussion-related absence felt a slight headache after Wednesday’s practice, thus the decision to take a little break. “It’s been a long road back and we want to err on the side of caution,” said Crosby. No official word yet if he’ll be in the lineup Tuesday when Pittsburgh hosts Detroit, but as soon as we know, you’ll know. Just keep hitting refresh.
Second star: Ovechkin on the juice?
That’s what John Steigerwald implied in a column for a Pennsylvania newspaper. And yes, Steigerwald is the brother of Penguins play-by-play man Paul Steigerwald. And yes, the Penguins and Capitals have a rather fierce rivalry. Not surprisingly, the column produced an internet frenzy. It also provided a good lesson for all you aspiring sports journalists out there. Want to get your name out there? Steroid allegations never fail. For best results, accuse a Russian.
First star: So long, divisions
The NHL’s board of governors met this week in Pebble Beach. Not to yank tee shots into the Pacific, but to drastically realign the league. Assuming the NHLPA says it’s cool, there will be four conferences next season – two with eight teams, two with seven. The top four teams from each conference will make the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs will be played within the conference. There might even be a Leafs-Rangers Stanley Cup final, but let’s cross that bridge to the apocalypse when we get to it. Or blow up the bridge. Whatever.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)