Dec 9, 2011, 5:45 PM EST
“Three (News) Stars of the Week” will run every Friday. It’s our way of acknowledging the week’s big NHL stories that gave us lots of page views, thereby increasing PHT’s attractiveness to advertisers.
Third star: Sid on the shelf
The hockey world got a jolt Wednesday when it was learned that Sidney Crosby would be sitting out the next two Penguins games “as a precaution.” The game’s best player that’s only just returned from an extended concussion-related absence felt a slight headache after Wednesday’s practice, thus the decision to take a little break. “It’s been a long road back and we want to err on the side of caution,” said Crosby. No official word yet if he’ll be in the lineup Tuesday when Pittsburgh hosts Detroit, but as soon as we know, you’ll know. Just keep hitting refresh.
Second star: Ovechkin on the juice?
That’s what John Steigerwald implied in a column for a Pennsylvania newspaper. And yes, Steigerwald is the brother of Penguins play-by-play man Paul Steigerwald. And yes, the Penguins and Capitals have a rather fierce rivalry. Not surprisingly, the column produced an internet frenzy. It also provided a good lesson for all you aspiring sports journalists out there. Want to get your name out there? Steroid allegations never fail. For best results, accuse a Russian.
First star: So long, divisions
The NHL’s board of governors met this week in Pebble Beach. Not to yank tee shots into the Pacific, but to drastically realign the league. Assuming the NHLPA says it’s cool, there will be four conferences next season – two with eight teams, two with seven. The top four teams from each conference will make the playoffs. The first two rounds of the playoffs will be played within the conference. There might even be a Leafs-Rangers Stanley Cup final, but let’s cross that bridge to the apocalypse when we get to it. Or blow up the bridge. Whatever.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)