Dec 9, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
Dallas Stars president Jim Lites says the hiring of Mike Modano isn’t a matter of if — it’s a matter of when.
“Mike will do whatever we want; I just want to make sure we use him effectively. I want to make sure he is comfortable with what he is doing and it is substantive,” Lites told ESPN Dallas. “So what we want to do with Mo is get him comfortable and know what he wants to do because if we have him do things he is not comfortable doing, it will fail and that won’t be good. We hopeful and we’re getting closer.”
Modano retired in September after 21 NHL seasons. Since then, he’s met with Lites and new Stars owner Tom Gaglardi, who discussed Modano joining the organization when he took over the team last month.
“The guy is the most important player I think to ever have worn a Stars jersey,” Gaglardi said. “In my opinion, he’s the best American-born hockey player to ever play in the NHL. I’ve gotten to know Mike in the last little while and enjoyed my time with him.
“I’ve expressed an interest that I’d like to have him involved in some capacity with the Dallas Stars and Mike has expressed the same thing to me.”
The ESPN report says Modano likely will join the team on the “business side” of things.
Since “business side” is kind of vague, I should point out Mikey Mo has spent a good chunk of his retirement playing golf and screwing around on Twitter. If he has to submit a resume, here’s hoping this picture adorns his CV.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)