Dec 9, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
Thought we’d pass along this King 5 news report about the mounting efforts to get an NBA/NHL arena built in Seattle.
For those non-basketball fans out there, the only reason the Sonics left town was the absence of a modern arena – Seattle is a fantastic hoops town. But could it be a good hockey town, too?
Among the things Seattle’s got going for it:
—- Large metro population.
—- Plenty of rich people.
—- High-profile companies like Amazon.com, Starbucks and Microsoft.
—- Close enough to draw from Portland and Vancouver.
—- “Let’s do something indoors” weather during the winter.
The question is whether enough Seattle residents like hockey to support a team.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)