Dec 9, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports Wild forward Kyle Brodziak won’t face further league discipline for his hit on Los Angeles’ Anze Kopitar last night.
The incident occurred early in the second period of Minnesota’s 4-2 win. Brodziak looked as though he went shoulder-to-shoulder on the hit, but still received a five-minute major and game misconduct:
The disapproval expressed by the Wild TV crew (Mike Greenlay and Dan Terhaar) was matched by Brodziak, albeit in less demonstrative fashion.
“If you’re lying on the ice for five minutes like that and play the next shift, you’re obviously not that hurt,” Brodziak said postgame. (This was in reference to Kopitar playing 1:36 of the five-minute man advantage, which the Kings failed to capitalize on.)
That said, Kings head coach Terry Murray thought Brodziak’s hit was a dangerous play.
“I was worried about that one,” he told the LA Times. “That’s a very dangerous play. You get cross-checked into the boards like that, I’ve seen too many players blow their knees, break their legs in those situations. I was very concerned about that one.
“I watch games around the league, and it’s a concern that it happens as often as it does. I don’t get it. I don’t get the attitude, the mentality of the players today. The lack of respect and the jeopardy they’re putting their fellow [players] in. In my generation, that never happened.”
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)