Dec 9, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune reports Wild forward Kyle Brodziak won’t face further league discipline for his hit on Los Angeles’ Anze Kopitar last night.
The incident occurred early in the second period of Minnesota’s 4-2 win. Brodziak looked as though he went shoulder-to-shoulder on the hit, but still received a five-minute major and game misconduct:
The disapproval expressed by the Wild TV crew (Mike Greenlay and Dan Terhaar) was matched by Brodziak, albeit in less demonstrative fashion.
“If you’re lying on the ice for five minutes like that and play the next shift, you’re obviously not that hurt,” Brodziak said postgame. (This was in reference to Kopitar playing 1:36 of the five-minute man advantage, which the Kings failed to capitalize on.)
That said, Kings head coach Terry Murray thought Brodziak’s hit was a dangerous play.
“I was worried about that one,” he told the LA Times. “That’s a very dangerous play. You get cross-checked into the boards like that, I’ve seen too many players blow their knees, break their legs in those situations. I was very concerned about that one.
“I watch games around the league, and it’s a concern that it happens as often as it does. I don’t get it. I don’t get the attitude, the mentality of the players today. The lack of respect and the jeopardy they’re putting their fellow [players] in. In my generation, that never happened.”
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL