Dec 9, 2011, 12:22 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens are desperate to fix their power play. How desperate? Well, they just traded for Tomas Kaberle. So pretty desperate.
In return for the struggling puck-moving defenseman, the Habs sent defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to Carolina. The hope for Montreal is that Kaberle can spark the league’s 28th-ranked power play, one that’s converting at just 11.4 percent. The move might also signal the level of confidence Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier has in the health of his injured defensive leader, Andrei Markov.
This isn’t the first time Kaberle’s been acquired to help a pitiful power play. The Boston Bruins picked up the 33-year-old last February and he…didn’t help their power play very much at all.
Meanwhile, Spacek heads to Carolina to give the Hurricanes a contract that expires at the end of the season (worth $3.833 million against the cap), allowing GM Jim Rutherford to escape the mistake he made in signing Kaberle to a three-year, $12.75 million deal over the summer.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)