Dec 9, 2011, 12:22 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens are desperate to fix their power play. How desperate? Well, they just traded for Tomas Kaberle. So pretty desperate.
In return for the struggling puck-moving defenseman, the Habs sent defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to Carolina. The hope for Montreal is that Kaberle can spark the league’s 28th-ranked power play, one that’s converting at just 11.4 percent. The move might also signal the level of confidence Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier has in the health of his injured defensive leader, Andrei Markov.
This isn’t the first time Kaberle’s been acquired to help a pitiful power play. The Boston Bruins picked up the 33-year-old last February and he…didn’t help their power play very much at all.
Meanwhile, Spacek heads to Carolina to give the Hurricanes a contract that expires at the end of the season (worth $3.833 million against the cap), allowing GM Jim Rutherford to escape the mistake he made in signing Kaberle to a three-year, $12.75 million deal over the summer.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)