Dec 9, 2011, 12:22 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens are desperate to fix their power play. How desperate? Well, they just traded for Tomas Kaberle. So pretty desperate.
In return for the struggling puck-moving defenseman, the Habs sent defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to Carolina. The hope for Montreal is that Kaberle can spark the league’s 28th-ranked power play, one that’s converting at just 11.4 percent. The move might also signal the level of confidence Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier has in the health of his injured defensive leader, Andrei Markov.
This isn’t the first time Kaberle’s been acquired to help a pitiful power play. The Boston Bruins picked up the 33-year-old last February and he…didn’t help their power play very much at all.
Meanwhile, Spacek heads to Carolina to give the Hurricanes a contract that expires at the end of the season (worth $3.833 million against the cap), allowing GM Jim Rutherford to escape the mistake he made in signing Kaberle to a three-year, $12.75 million deal over the summer.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)