Dec 9, 2011, 7:57 AM EDT
It’s been long enough now. It’s time to start taking the Minnesota Wild seriously.
The Wild won their sixth straight road game last night in Los Angeles, taking out the Kings 4-2. Rookie Matt Hackett made his first NHL start, coming off a relief appearance in San Jose that saw him shut down the Sharks to win 2-1, and continued to stymie their opponents. Their games are never high scoring but they’re often played a breakneck pace and, most importantly, the Wild just keep winning.
Wild beat man Michael Russo hears it from coach Mike Yeo after their win over L.A. and Yeo says things are just different now with the Wild.
“It is a different place and time for us. I think we’ve come a long way in terms of how we prepare ourselves, how we see ourselves and what we expect from ourselves.
“The players right from that day have been unbelievable.”
Funny what a little confidence can do, isn’t it?
The team is preparing differently, they’re holding themselves and each other accountable for what happens on the ice, and they’re getting the kind of goaltending that will make up for lapses anywhere. For the Wild, they don’t care how the wins come – they just care that they keep happening.
If the Wild keep this up, we’ll have to start labeling them the NHL’s honey badgers. They just don’t care what you think of them, they’re just going to keep doing it their way.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)