Dec 9, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
It was just a report last night, but today the Maple Leafs have been sold.
The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Fund have sold their majority stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to Rogers Sportsnet and Bell Canada for a whopping $1.3 billion. The partnership is an awkward one as Bell and Rogers are competitors in communications. Bell also owns a small part of the Montreal Canadiens on top of it all. No, they won’t be forced to divest their interest there. That should make Habs-Leafs games a bit more fun.
How this affects the future of the Leafs (as well as MLSE’s other sports interests) will be curious. Will Bell and Rogers amp up their interest in running the Leafs to try and generate more money for the team by taking a keener interest in how they do? Will the new owners treat the Leafs as a cash cow that effortlessly makes money for them?
After the executive board room way of life the Ontario Teachers seemed to do things, seeing a two-headed monster with a direct interest in how well the Leafs perform will be fascinating to watch.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 0
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)