Dec 9, 2011, 9:52 PM EDT
I’ve developed the habit of calling Dennis Wideman a poor man’s Mike Green, but he accomplished something that high-scoring blueliner has never managed* on Friday night. Wideman scored his first career hat trick (along with an assist) as the Washington Capitals beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2, drawing Dale Hunter’s coaching record to 3-3.
In a way, it was a night of good news accompanied by reality checks.
All four of Washington’s goals came on the power play (they went 4-for-6), which is the kind of explosiveness normally expected from this offense. On the other hand, it cannot be ignored that the Leafs sport one of the worst penalty kill units in the NHL.
Tomas Vokoun held an explosive Leafs offense to just two goals, yet he apparently gave one of his teammates “the stink eye” after one of the tallies.
Alex Ovechkin is starting to look more like his old, ever-dangerous self as he fired eight shots on goal, registered an assist and created some tantalizing chances. He didn’t find the net with any of them, though, and managed a -1 rating (which is actually quite forgivable since every Washington goal came on the man advantage).
Finally, there’s the big picture view. The Capitals won three out of their last four games, but those wins came against Ottawa (twice) and a struggling Toronto team. There’s nothing wrong with taking an uplifting feeling away from this game, but we’ll learn more about Washington when they face the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday.
Here’s video of Wideman’s hat trick. (Feel free to split hairs regarding whether or not that last goal should have gone to someone else.)
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (97)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games