Dec 9, 2011, 9:52 PM EDT
I’ve developed the habit of calling Dennis Wideman a poor man’s Mike Green, but he accomplished something that high-scoring blueliner has never managed* on Friday night. Wideman scored his first career hat trick (along with an assist) as the Washington Capitals beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2, drawing Dale Hunter’s coaching record to 3-3.
In a way, it was a night of good news accompanied by reality checks.
All four of Washington’s goals came on the power play (they went 4-for-6), which is the kind of explosiveness normally expected from this offense. On the other hand, it cannot be ignored that the Leafs sport one of the worst penalty kill units in the NHL.
Tomas Vokoun held an explosive Leafs offense to just two goals, yet he apparently gave one of his teammates “the stink eye” after one of the tallies.
Alex Ovechkin is starting to look more like his old, ever-dangerous self as he fired eight shots on goal, registered an assist and created some tantalizing chances. He didn’t find the net with any of them, though, and managed a -1 rating (which is actually quite forgivable since every Washington goal came on the man advantage).
Finally, there’s the big picture view. The Capitals won three out of their last four games, but those wins came against Ottawa (twice) and a struggling Toronto team. There’s nothing wrong with taking an uplifting feeling away from this game, but we’ll learn more about Washington when they face the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday.
Here’s video of Wideman’s hat trick. (Feel free to split hairs regarding whether or not that last goal should have gone to someone else.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)